Thursday, November 15, 2018

My father, Daniele, mid-1960s, speaking at an anti–Vietnam War rally, at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he taught political science. (He always wore a suit and tie to teach, and never  after he retired.)




I don't remember seeing this photo until my sister recently posted it recently on FB--she said she'd found it in our father's house after he died last year, but it had never been on display or in the family scrapbooks.
And yet I think it's one of the best of our father I've ever seen.
The way he's pushing the podium forward!

I recognize me, here.
He was more likely to express disapproval than approval of me, and not surprisingly, I wasn't close to him. But looking at this photo, I admire how he got there: he mostly did it himself, by reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A glimpse into that time of turbulence. The expressions on the faces surrounding him - tuned into what he was saying. And his belief in what he is saying and obviously believes in is in the pushing of the podium forward.

Kirsten