Thursday, November 22, 2018

How 'bout them apples?

I got up at 7 a.m. this morning, went into the kitchen to make coffee, and there were the Orphan Reds, those scamps, already getting into the apples I'd baked last night for Thanksgiving dessert.
(They had been given forks this week by a coworker of mine.)

  
Happy Thanksgiving, Blogland!!!
___________________________

*My father used to say, "How bout them apples?
I just looked it up. 
Supposedly the phrase has its roots in World War I, where Allied troops  referred to a mortar with a round shell as a “toffee apple”. 
In the film Rio Bravo (1959––my father would have been 28, so that could be where he got it), a character fires one of these round mortars at the enemy and exclaims, “How do you like them apples?”

4 comments:

  1. Those Orphan Reds! Always getting into everything. Although if it were me, I probably would have been in the apples also!

    Love homemade desserts which I got from my dad! I used to eat homemade fudge before eating breakfast.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. TRUE CONFESSIONS: I did eat some of those apples too.

    Fudge before breakfast--that seems like a good life guide. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea where the apple phrase came from. Thanks for enlightening me...but sorry to hear it's a war reference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BINK: We should make up an alternate history, eh?
    I think of caramel apples in the fall.
    How do I like them?
    Very muchly ! ! !

    ReplyDelete