Sunday, November 25, 2018

Firefly, Restored

Days off have been great:
I finished restoring Firefly the bear--brown, with remnants of golden mohair.  (Entries on Firefly, a
hundred year old mohair bear, like Tulip). Firefly had arrived last December ($8 on ebay)––so smelly I was afraid she had bugs.

I ended up taking her apart (didn't want to) and replacing all five rusted metal joints (held with cotter pins of death) with plastic joints. Hours of work, and worth it. Now Firefly can be touched and held.

Several others are in the wings--including this terrier and Dark Bear (from a Minnesota farm auction--complete with farm dirt caked in its wool). Both have been bathed and are ready for their final mends.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Firefly needs some wire spectacles! She has that look of wisdom. Dark Bear seems to be smiling and happy now that they are free of the caked farm dirt. And the terrier seems to be a little apprehensive but hopeful.

Kirsten

gz said...

a lovely pair

Fresca said...

KIRSTEN: Hm... I have a pair of antique wire spectacles (from my mother's family). I should try them on Firefly.
Thanks for noticing the toys!

GZ: The bears go nicely together, don't they.

bink said...

I am so glad Firefly can be picked and held now! She is too sweet to be stinky...so I'm sure she is very happy to be so clean and fresh.

Frex said...

Thanks, bink! And now she is sweet smelling too, since I left her in a paper bag with the fresh lavender I bought when we went to the art fair on Saturday.
It worked really well to take away the faint leftover old-cloth smell.