Friday, October 19, 2018

What's Your Gang?

I'm lying on the couch, feeling like writing about nothing much.
It's 7 p.m., I can see the moon rising above the apartment building next door. The tree branches are blowing, making me wonder if a cold front is moving in. 
We've had nice, sunny weather in the 60s the past couple days, but it snowed last week--only stuck on the ground for a minute, but still... That's early.

🦕 [I have animal emojis!]

Are people out there talking and thinking about the UN report on climate change? 
I see some people talking on FB & blogs, but my coworkers aren't, not around me anyway. 
I'm the cultural outlier at work, though, and I don't always follow how my coworkers think about things. For instance, I've heard three people, including the boss I like, say they aren't getting flu shots because "that gives you the flu."

I don't say anything, usually––we don't have a fund of knowledge in common. 
But sometimes there's overlap.

The other day a few guys were talking near my work desk about gangs of their youth. We're mostly all over 55, and they're pretty mellow guys now, but a lot of them came up a rough route––black and poor––lot of them did prison time and stuff. 

One of them had told me a while ago that he'd moved up here from Chicago because, he said, "I was tired of all the killing. And I figured I was going to be next."

This guy turned to me during the discussion about gangs and said,
"What was your gang?"

I was silent, trying to think how to respond. He said,
"I asked you what your gang was---don't think! Just answer!"


"Trekkie!" I said. "I was a Star Trek fan. Still am."

"You're a Star Trek fan?" he said.

"Yeah, but only the original series with Kirk & Spock."

And then he stated to sing, at the TOP of his voice, and he has a strong voice,
"Captain Kirk, I want yo BAAAY-BEEE!"


I'm sure you could hear him out on the floor.

Turns out, this is from a rap song from ten years ago, by Master P., called "Captain Kirk."
Another coworker found it on youtube and played it on her phone.
"The Ghetto Enterprise has landed..."

Ha! Not my set of references, but I had to laugh.


After that, I decided I'm going to dress up as Mr. Spock for Halloween. I have a science-blue velour V-neck top and black pants and boots. 
Not sure what to do about ears---maybe I'll just make paper points and ... glue them on?  🦊
bink says her gang is terriers. The Terrierists!

🐿
I'm going to read now. I'm reading The Shipwrecked Men, excerpts from Cabeza de Vaca's account of how an expedition of six hundred Spaniards to the New World in 1503 were reduced to four--a Penguin title in their Great Journeys series.

I'd learned in grade school about this "journey"––more like a death march––but it was presented in the most boring way, like most of the history I encountered in school. Now I bet kids get to read excerpts---or, if I were their teacher, they would.

Good night, my gang!

4 comments:

  1. See also Herzog's Aguirre - all those Conquistadors were pretty nuts though, Evan S Connell wrote a book about them, The White Lantern I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SPARKER: Saw that movie 30-some years ago and still remember that feeling of madness, trapped in the wall of jungle, as they all died off...
    Also the daughter, was it? carried around a little bushbaby.

    I looked up The White Lantern--looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. I probably shouldn't have tried to do my Gugeo Catch-Up right before going to bed. Too much stimulation! My tribe? None, right now. Or many with whom I'm no more than a Peeping Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Poodle! Nice to see you here! The Red Hair Girls piped up in the background when I read your comment that you can be an honorary member of their gang. No action required. :)

    ReplyDelete