Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Genet Is Okay

I didn't like feeling cowardly, as if I were hiding something by not mentioning reading Jean Genet.
I went ahead and posted on Facebook a photo of Sweet Potato (SweePo), here at breakfast with sleeves pushed up like Genet, and steeled myself for a possible negative response:


But, it turns out, Genet is okay.
Flavor of the day.

One friend wrote a comment suggesting the Orphan Reds mount an all-doll performance of The Maids (eek!); another said they had recently read up on Genet because an academic friend who is an expert was coming into town.

This did not make me any happier than being attacked, actually, since I think Genet's writing is wonderful––wacky imaginative, funny, even, and tender in spots––but disturbing.
I don't know enough about him, but people who worship strength always make me nervous.

Ah, well. No one ever said FB is a place for complex conversations, even with oneself. 
At least I'm not covering up, and I'm happy about that.