Saturday, August 4, 2018

"Perhaps you will have to change your ideas of charm and beauty."

Oooh---I unpacked an exciting donation to the thrift store:
the orig 1951 ed. of 
Mary & Russel Wright's Guide to Easier Living, a classic of mid-century modern (MCM) design!


I got interested in MCM when I was researching the roots of Star Trek design--including
Russel Wright's dishware. I forgot, I'd even blogged about this very book.

BELOW: a scene from "Amok Time" (1967), and Russel Wright's spun aluminum cheese server.

I brought the book home to read before selling. I'll put it in our glass case, for $25– (no dust cover, a bit worn). 

You know I've been writing about the furniture in our brain---this is about actual furniture, and it's very related:it's a guide to changing your entire way of thinking & living--and reorienting yourself in history.

Man-oh-man, the Wrights are not shy about making judgments! 
Discussing the bedroom, they write [bf mine]:
"Perhaps you will have to change your ideas of charm and beauty. For many generations the bedroom has been considered the sentimental core of the home, and through the dictates of fashion and etiquette, has become a veritable Valentine chock-full of all the feminine goodies... Victorian, Colonial, and French...
"If you are so enamored of the charm of other centuries that you can stand the gruesome, tawdry look of such rooms... and do the work of other centuries to restore order––then have such a room.

But if you really want to save work, and to have a room that properly fulfills its intended functions, you'll have to give up your dreams of living in another age and enjoy your own twentieth century.
[None of the
traditional heart-warmers . . .]."

7 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

I love that book (still available), and I suspect that the people who built the house we live in were inspired by it. Our downstairs is an all-in-one room. We’re so modern!

Frex said...

Neat-o! Are there any photos of your house on your blog?
When I was a kid I didn't like modern houses--influenced partly by my mother who likes old things (though not sentimental fluffy goodies). Now I do!

Frex said...

P.S. Yes, I see there's a 2003 edition available--much less expensive option! I'd be interested to see it---I like the soft paper of this 1951 ed, wonder how it feels...

Bink said...

That sounds like one design book that is actually fun to read!

Frex said...

It's odd! I could lend it to you before I sell it...

Sandy Miller said...

That is so cool! And the Star Trek picture is amazing! I’m more of a Frank Lloyd Wright girl ☺️

Frex said...

POTTER: You inspired me to check my blog for FLW--found a post from 2009, & just reposted it. Thanks for the nudge!