Thursday, August 2, 2018

"Do people keep books?"

I. "Do people keep books?"

I was unpacking a box of donated books and groaned when I saw another set of Stieg Larsson's Millenium series.  

The Girl with Dragon Tattoo is the first of these crime books.*

Its original title in Swedish was The Man Who Hated Women. >
(The original cover is not pretty in any way.)

One of my managers happened to be nearby when I unpacked them. 
I commented that for some reason we've gotten several sets of these books donated in the past couple months. 

I showed him a cover.

"Wasn't that a movie?" he asked.

It was, I said.
Everyone must have bought the books at the same time, and then decided to get rid of them
at the same time too.

"Do people keep books?" he asked.

It took me a second to even register the meaning of that question. I just said, "Yeah!"

That question better than anything else illustrates what different worlds my coworkers and I live in.
But there are others.

II. What's Normal

Also yesterday, I asked a coworker who is something of a lay Christian minister (I think?) if he wanted a book about Catholic ministry. 
He said yes, he was interested because he didn't know anything about Catholicism.

I asked him what religion he was, and he told me he's Pentecostal.

"I'm Catholic... sort of," I said.

"Sort of?" he asked.

"Well, yeah, I'm Catholic, but I don't go to church or anything."

"You don't go to church?" He seemed surprised. "Why not?"

Now, this guy and I have a pleasant working relationship, but he has never asked me a personal question. 

Not one.
So, trying to explain my religious worldview out of the blue, it just felt too much. 

"Oh, I just got out of the habit," I said.

"Missing church is like missing work," he said.

That seemed a little odd to me at first--comparing church to an onerous duty... Like, as if you said seeing a friend was like going to work. 
But I think he just meant it's something you do without thinking, "Should I?"

III. Eye Level

Oh, and also yesterday [what was yesterday?] one of the old, white church ladies who volunteer on Wednesdays [is there something about Wednesdays?] came up to me quietly in the books section to discuss something serious with me:
Would I consider moving the Bibles from the bottom shelf, where I'd moved them?

"It's a matter of respect," she said. "Some of us were talking about it, and it doesn't seem respectful that they're down there by the floor. Could they be at eye level, where they used to be?"


My instant reaction was TOTAL ANNOYANCE.
Luckily I kept it inside. I explained my reasoning:
some of the Bibles are big and heavy, altogether they're easy to spot, and I'd rather keep religious books with narrow, harder-to-read spines at eye level.

This did not wash. She repeated it was a matter of respect.

My brain was playing a FURIOUS game of Ping-Pong, making up things I could lob at her... ["Is it OK if I put the Talmud and the Quran down there?"]

But you know, I caught myself.
She wasn't attacking anything. She was respectfully asking me to take care of some books she loves and honors. Did I need to make it a problem?


I thought, What the hell? Why not take her request at face value.
So I gathered myself and said, "Well, I do have this empty shelf higher up over here, on this wooden bookshelf..." 

And they did look nice on the wood shelf.

IV. The Eye of the Beholder

A couple weeks earlier, however, I'd had a very different call to respect the Bible. An old black lady who browses the store regularly took me to task for putting out some broken Bibles for free, in the entryway. [I mention race because it seems to be aligned with different religious attitudes & affiliations, in these cases.]

"Those Bibles are no good," she said. "You shouldn't put those out. It's disrespectful!"

I explained that I put them out for free rather than throw them out.
"I thought it would be worse to put them in the garbage."


She didn't think so. "Would you want one of those old Bibles? You wouldn't! It's not respectful." 

(By the way, there's no scriptural or doctrinal reason you can't throw out a Christian Bible. I gather it's different with the Hebrew Bible, the Torah.)

I was baffled until it dawned on me that she didn't locate respect in BOOK, the object of paper and ink; the insult was to PEOPLE--I was disrespecting them by offering them shoddy Bibles.

Half the Bibles had already been taken, but I went and threw the rest out. I don't care--they are paper and ink, and God knows we get a TON of them--way more, even than copies of Scandinavian crime novels. 

V. An Angel on My Shoulder

Yeah, so... sometimes I leave work feeling wrung out.
It reminds me of how tiring it is to speak a foreign language.  


Luckily there are those at work who speak my language.

________________
*Side note: Looking up the correct spelling of the author's name, I read that Larsson based his main character, Lisbeth Salander, partly on Pippi Longstocking.

From an interview in the Washington Post: [published, as were all his books, after his death]:

Henning Mankell [author of Inspector Wallender series] dislikes talking about a Swedish crime fiction genre, saying that above all he has been inspired by Sherlock Holmes and classical Greek drama.
"Of course, I also read Sjowall-Wahloo but one must not forget that they in turn were very influenced by Ed McBain, and who influenced Ed McBain? He was absolutely influenced by Sherlock Holmes," Mankell says.
As for Steig Larsson, he primarily drew inspiration from British and American authors such as Sara Paretsky, Val McDermid and Elizabeth George. Salander's character, however, was inspired by the strong-willed redhead Pippi Longstocking in the children's books by the late Astrid Lindgren.
"What would she have been like today? What would she have been like as an adult? What would she be called? A sociopath?" Larsson told book store industry magazine Svensk Bokhandel in the only interview he ever did about his crime fiction. "I created her as Lisbeth Salander, 25 years old and extremely isolated. She doesn't know anyone, has no social competence."
I found several images of Lisbeth as Pippi online. Here's one by Grobi-Graphik from Deviantart:

What would my Orphan Red Dolls grow up to be like? Luckily, they have not been abused, unlike Salander--at least not while they've been with me...

15 comments:

ArtSparker said...

There.are different reasons to read books, one of which is participating in a mutual cultural moment - I can well imagine these would not be keepers after the moment has passed.

Frex said...

SPARKER: Yeah, reading books as tie-ins to movies or other cultural expressions-of-the-moment makes sense.
I read one of these books (never saw the movies): it was v. good but too disturbing to want to read again, personally.

Anonymous said...

I started to write "who knew books could be so contentious" but also then thought that some books have been banned because people didn't like what they said or issues they raised.

But then realized it's not about the books per se but more about how they are viewed by others as something to be respected which I think is a good thing. Unlike some decorating shows I have caught on tv, who always say first thing "get rid of the books."


Kirsten

Frex said...

KIRSTEN: Get rid of the books?!?? I always think a room without books looks naked!

Frex said...

(test)

Anonymous said...

I know, I know about getting rid of books. I was raised on books and try to have one with me at all times. As I read so much, I find it hard to understand why others don't.

After further thought, i think all of the interactions are a good sign as I can guess that PBL (previous book lady) did not encourage interactions.

Kirsten

Frex said...

KIRSTEN: Me too--raised on books. I like the challenge trying to understand how (and why) I'm different than other people.
You know?
Like, WHY, psychologically speaking, do people love a president I hate?
What are our brains doing in in each case?

Or, as I recently wrote about, what is the FURNITURE in our brains that allows for and shapes our different realities?
What does the world look like if you have never seen a chair?
What does the world look like if you don't read?

I agree, I do think all these interactions are good--they're just sometimes tiring, when they come thick and fast:
My brain is working to rearrange furniture and introduce new shapes & structures as fast as it can!

Frex said...

P.S. Kirsten: Ha! I love your term "PBL (previous book lady)". Thanks for that!

Right--people I work with tell me she was not interactive with them.

Perhaps her furniture was nailed to the floor and it was too uncomfortable and hard to try to shift it.
(I actually have some sympathy for that---it IS uncomfortable and hard, even if good...
I just don't have sympathy for her being MEAN about it.)

ArtSparker said...

As far as the respect thing goes, it seems everyone is trying to carve out their own little territory of outrage. We may run out of everything else, but never out of stuff to be pissed off about.

Fresca said...

SPARKER: Seems it gives us a sense of security to be pissed off about something!

gz said...

my books are my friends and assistants..I've had to reduce them to a quarter since 1998..it hurts

Anonymous said...

After further reflecting on the older women, I think it is less of outrage and more about feeling less in control. I saw this in my mother in the last few years-upset/anger about things the rest of us might not see that way.

Let's be honest-society in general (family, states, government) is not nice to the elderly or those of us who have passed a certain age. We become invisible (especially women)and no one seems to want to hear what we have to say. So for some complaining about what they perceive as not right becomes a method of communicating. It becomes a way for them to "control" their life and the environment around them.

As I used to read, fights about lids off of the toothpaste tube or squeezing in the middle are not about toothpaste but some other underlying issue. It's just that the toothpaste tube is easier to point to than the real issue.

Kirsten

Frex said...

GZ: Oh, I'm sorry! That's hard, when you have to get rid of things you don't want to get rid of...

KIRSTEN: I've experienced that too- a fuss being made about a physical thing being really about an emotional need or drive.

But in this case, I recognize the Church Ladies' desire to protect the Bible as a normal, non-age-related, Catholic pious instinct to respect "sacramentals"--the things that are no in themselves holy, but are reminders of holiness.
This includes religious articles like rosaries, holy medals, candles.

In its most generous form, it includes to respect and protection for ALL of life--both living and created things---the idea that we are "stewards" of the Earth.

That's why I was confused then the Church Customer didn't have that respect for the Bible---as a Protestant, she may even feel that giving the Bible any special due is a kind of idolatry...

So... my Catholic background threw me off there.

Of course this all gets mixed in with individual personalities and, as you so rightly point out, age, and personal power, or lack of it.

That's part of why I'm glad I did stop and listen to what she was saying, in both cases... Even though they were opposite things, and in each case didn't reflect how I saw the situation.

Bink said...

Lizbeth as Pippi! That opens up whole new paths in my head! That’s fascinating and I wish I had know that before I meet Lizbeth’s character.

Frex said...

BINK: I started to re-read the Dragon Tattoo book (quickly gave up---remembered it more than I expected--not worth reading again)---and the author himself has a character think that L is like Pippi.
So the clue is right there in the open.

Not sure it made it into the movies...