Saturday, August 18, 2018

Books Into Movies, One Very Bad

I finally had a reason to feature this Very Bad Book at work--I set up a display, Books Made Into Movies:

I am curious to see if the bad publicity will entice someone to buy Battlefield Earth--it's been on the shelf since I started in June, two and a half months ago.


The other time I featured a book with a note, it sold right away.

But it was Naked Lunch--
a book the buyer probably actually wanted to read.

The thing that made it notable was the entire spine was mended with duct tape.

I wish I'd photographed it---
it was this early edition by Grove Press>
 
I'd written:
"Naked Lunch repaired with duct tape?

This should cost double!
But it's yours for only 49¢."


Here are the other books-into-movies on display:



For me, Patrick O'Brien's Master & Commander books ^ are rare examples of the movies being way better than the books.
But that's just me.


And To Kill a Mockingbird is a rare example, I'd say, of a book ^ and a movie being equally good (my reservations about it being a feel-good "get out of racist jail free" card for white people aside). 

1 comment:

ArtSparker said...

Duct tape is inarguably one of the greatest technological accomplishments of the human race - not so sure about some of the rest.