Saturday, July 15, 2017

Italian Afternoon (la felicita)

I'm (unexpectedly) having fun preparing for my father's memorial lunch today. 
I was a little dismayed that it's going to get hot today, after several cool days, but then I thought, no, that's correct:
it fits the spirit of the family gatherings for the birthday of his mother, my grandmother, every August

––minus the obligatory-for-the-era uncle in plaid shorts, black ankle socks & sandals, stirring a huge vat of spaghetti sauce, who always grabbed the females a little too closely and kissed us a little too sloppily––
but that creepy uncle (Uncle Larry!), long dead now, is like a gateway to some of my happiest childhood memories.

I'm listening to a CD Italian Café: my favorite song is "Juke Box" (on youtube)
"Juke box e una magica invenzion, ... la felicita... [happiness], con Sinatra e Johnny Rave , Franky Lane e Doris Day..."

My sister just emailed me our father's work ID from the 1980s.

I laughed: he looks like a character in a Coen Bros. movie--not a gangster, my father actually had a touch of the laid-back Dude about him:  
"All the dude ever wanted was his rug back, man.

REPLACEMENT FEE $2...
Could we get the father back for that? :)

OK, back to house cleaning, and arranging olives & salami...

3 comments:

The Crow said...

This image of your father reminds me of Al Pacino, which I suspect you've heard many times.

Maybe your toys can have hold a memorial of their own for him. (And, maybe that was a dumb thing to say, but the idea and image popped into my head when I tried to imagine the one you are putting together this afternoon. Sometimes what pops into my head pops right out of my mouth...or fingers; not always so good.)

Anonymous said...

He was a dude from the look of that card. But oh my your feast looks delicious. You have done him proud in oh so many ways. Grieve in peace and with love in your heart.x

Fresca said...

CROW: In real life, he looked more like Robert De Niro, but yes, you're right--shades of Pacino.
I LOVE the idea of the toys holding a memorial---my sister is bring a few more when she comes--I picture them holding a parade!

CATHY: You are so nice--thanks for all your kind comments throughout this.