Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Recommended Reading: "Things I Find in the Garbage"

I sat on the couch for hours last night reading this blog:

THINGS I FIND IN THE GARBAGE

http://garbagefinds.com
The appealing young man who writes it (in Montreal) says, 
"I'm a professional scavenger and entrepreneur making a living selling curbside garbage. This blog details my finds and sales. It also acts as an archive for things beautiful and historic that would otherwise have been destroyed."
I started with his 2014 Year in Review of top finds and then  couldn't stop---the blog is like the Thrift Store--a museum of sociology & history.

And now I'm heading off into the –3 morning to bus to work. At the bus stop I shall think:
(From the Garbage 2014 Year in Review ^)

4 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks: both this one and Happify are now in my not-Google Reader.

I'm amazing to see that people throw away money in the form of money — not just pennies but real change.

Fresca said...

Hey, I'm glad you like the blogs!

I too was surprised people thow out actual cash! The other stuff didn't surprise me, but whole containers of change, yeah, that did.

bink said...

It reminds me of the old days of going to Maxwell Street in Chicago. There was always so much good trash for sale there! I could totally see doing this for a living if there was just one great place--like Maxwell Street--one could go, once a week, to sell the stuff.

It's the effort of selling it in bits and bobs on eBay, etc. that I would find hard about this lifestyle...not the trash picking.

Fresca said...

BINK: I too thought of Chicago, though more specifically of standing IN a dumpster to lift a bookshelf out.
God, I wouldn't climb into a dumpster now... Lucky I didn't step on a rat or a nail or something.

Yes, the work is the more daunting side of it all:
the blogger says he spends a HUGE amount of time on all the non-hunting chores, including photographing & posting the stuff online.

Plus, did you notice that Montreal uses plastic bags as trash receptacles? He said it would be near impossible to do what he does if the city used bins like we do---he couldn't nudge them with his foot to check the contents' weight & noise...