Monday, January 19, 2009

Death in the Afternoon

Adios to Ricardo Montalbán, who died last week (Jan. 14). 

Left, in his native Mexico, in a 1945 role as a matador.
The Spanish word matador comes from matar, to kill.

Montalban's most splendid role as a killer was, of course, Khan in the Star Trek episode "Space Seed" and the film Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.



 __________________
"Madame, all stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you."
--Death in the Afternoon, Ernest Hemingway's nonfiction book on bullfighting

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute new photo in your "about me" section...though the likeness isn't perfect...you're not really that blond!

Fresca said...

Sorry, I forgot to tell you--I dyed my hair and glued a horn to my head.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Très cute photo of you, especially those lips! Must be the new YSL Gloss Pur in Black.

Anonymous said...

Ricardo Montalban -- now there was a sexy dude! Everything about him was hot -- darkly handsome, great voice, mysterious and exotic, and somehow he came across as smart, I don't know just why.

So many of my personal greats have passed recently: Odetta, Miriam Makeba, Studs Terkel, Ricardo Montalban. But there is a new great standing in the wings and taking the stage in earnest tomorrow -- OBAMA!

Fresca said...

Corinthian leather!

But seriously, I've felt sad and weird to have so many of "my" people die recently too--Patrick McGoohan, Majel Roddenberry, RM...

Yes, I hope Obama is a good president. I'd settle for halfway decent---that would be such a huge improvement!!!