Friday, August 8, 2008

Star Trek Las Vegas, Day 3: Wearing Red

Here I am having my morning coffee (no chocolate, having received instructions from afar to take care of my teeth).
I do follow friendly instruction (sometimes), and took this photo of myself to show that today I am wearing red, as instructed by Lee's "Away-Team Mission List." [a few posts back] (OK, you can barely tell, but there's a tip of my red T-shirt showing, lower left.)

Today at 1:50 p.m., I get my "photo op" with Nichelle Nichols! (The red-garbed Lt. Uhura.)
And then she and George Takei are on stage together.

These are the first biggies of The Original Series (TOS) to appear, unless you count Grace Lee Whitney (Janice Rand, the yeoman with a basket of blond hair on her head), which I sorta do, though she was only on the first year.

Grace Lee said that that giant hairpiece was two wigs woven together, it weighed a ton, they had to "nail it on my head," and it kept slipping out of place, "especially when I was wrestling with Capt. Kirk."

She also said that her first paid film work was in Some Like it Hot! Yes, the 1958 film, with Marilyn. Whitney has a chapter on it in her autobiography, The Longest Trek: My Tour of the Galaxy (1998), which makes me want to read it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tidbit for Today: Nellis Air Force base is just 8 miles outside of Las Vegas.

Fresca said...

Oh, yes, I knew that. Yes, of course I did. I id in-depth research on this place I have come for the first time.
OK, no, I had absolutely no idea.
Thanks!