Martyn sent me this recipe she got from a Vietnamese friend many years ago. I admit I have never made it, but she did, so it should work.
Sticky Rice Dessert
2 cups sweet rice (glutinous)
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh grated ginger
sweet bean paste
whatever you like
To make fillings stick together, boil 3/4 cup cold water. Whisk in 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder (or try cornstarch). Mix with filling ingredients.
1. In a 2 quart saucepan, cover rice with hot tap water and soak for one hour. Drain well. Add back to pan.
2. Mix coconut milk, sugar, and salt into the rice. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Let cool completely.
4.Shape handfuls of cool rice into balls.
Dipping hands in water between shaping each ball helps prevent rice from sticking to hands.
5. poke a hole in the middle and put in about 1 teaspoon filling. Press hole in rice closed, so filling is hidden in the middle.
6. Wrap each ball in aluminum foil [or tie in banana leaves, if you can get them] and steam for 1 to 2 hours until rice is soft.
7. Unwrap and let cool before serving.