Friday, July 5, 2024

Stolen Cookies

Here's a funny thing about a not-funny thing:
bink & Maura's kitchen is being renovated, and the other night someone broke in through the not-very-secure temporary door and stole Maura's wallet and laptop.

Nothing else seemed to be missing, but this morning bink texted me:

"I discovered the one thing of mine that was stolen:
the bag of gingersnaps you gave me!🤣"
Noooo! I'd bought the cookies for her at the Swedish bakery in the small town of Lindstrom--where I mentioned I'd bought orange limpa rye.
Cruel, cruel world.
But, lesson? Eat your cookies now!
_____________

It rained all day yesterday, and the girlettes (and I) were sluggish.
They requested to gather ALL in a basket (with some honorary girlettes) so they could have a Constitutional Convention instead of a parade.
As often with conventions, there was a lot of off-topic crosstalk....

"We are historic", they determined however, and requested to be interviewed by Oriana Fallaci.
I informed them she is dead, but they said that was no impediment.


How many girlettes?
Twenty-six.
This may be an all-time high. If anyone is in need of a girlette or three, some would be happy to go to a new home. Though when I look at them there appear to be none to spare, most of them are up for adventure:
"We love to go away!"

I started reading Fallacci's Interviews with History (1976) last night--it dovetails with The Once and Future King and its discussions of Power.
She says [emphases mine]:
"Whether it comes from a despotic sovereign or an elected president, from a murderous general or a beloved leader,
I see power as an inhuman and hateful phenomenon 
...
I have always looked on disobedience toward the oppressive as the only way to use the miracle of having been born."

(I'm not sure I agree with O.F. on everything. Power might be, often is hateful, but is it inhuman? That seems a flawed analysis. And disobedience is the only way?
Well, but her interviews are fascinating.)
______________________

I did go out yesterday though:
I joined bink in her outing to Archon Glassworks to buy stained glass for a mosaic she'll make for the new kitchen.
At the studio I saw a sign for a class on how to wrap small things!
I signed up:


Somewhere (where?) I have bits of safety glass I'd saved from the thrift-store windows broken in the uprisings after the murder of George Floyd. I've always wanted to wrap them in wire. To wear? To hang in the window?

For the first class, you make glass gobbets-- cabochons = a dome shape with a flat back. I asked Janelle, the store owner, could I set my bits of glass in the cabochon?
No, she said, the glass is fired, and all the pieces have to have the same melting point.

That's not important--it's the wire-wrapping I'm interested in. Even if I can't find the glass I saved, I want to wrap little found objects and toys.
I could learn how to by myself, but I haven't in the FOUR years I've had the broken glass.
That's why I love classes in person: they get me to DO it.

Printmaking starts this Tuesday evening. My friend KG will be taking the class too. I'm looking forward to that. She and I used to make art together in the 1990s.

The syllabus says that in the six weeks of 3-hour classes, we'll carve and print editions of two prints. Only two?
Looks like a lot of information will be offered... I suppose that's okay--I don't know anything about printmaking.

I can work on my own at home, when I clear my work table. There's a chore... I'm not going to volunteer at the store till Monday, so I have time to get things like that done at home.
I'd like to make art with or alongside other people. Needs workspace.

5 comments:

  1. That is a real family gathering!
    You are finding some interesting courses..yes making art with people is completely different

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWIE, all of the relatives right there in a circle! How did they all know where to go? Amazing Girlettes!
    I googled the little town and see that it is little! Bunch of block head Swedes- so sad about the cookies- you are right, eat the cookies , do not try to save them for special visitors.
    The wrapping of things might be a good idea- though my friend does that sort of thing with gems and tore the every loving EF out of her fingers. Stock up on bandaids.
    Print making will be fun. once you know how it is yours forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They now where to go because they have some psychic doll grapevine, I warrant. :)

      Delete
  3. sorry to hear about bink and maura -- that is no fun. having experienced that some years ago, you really don't trust people coming in to do repairs for awhile. at least i didn't.
    a hint on wrapping -- yes it will be hard on hands particularly using sterling silver or gold filled wire. but practicing with copper wire is fun and much cheaper. try 22 or 20 gauge which you should be able to find at a hardware store. and get good cutting/wrapping tools. they make all of the difference.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirsten! Thanks for tips—I think the class will supply all that—I don’t really want to invest myself—just a one-time wrapper 😆

      Delete