Sunday, April 21, 2024

Tiny Things Count

I had an unexpected Sewing Day yesterday. Julia had invited me to participate in Mend in Public Day, but even before that, my day started with an old pal texting me an invitation to join her--in half an hour-- at the public library for a morning Needlework meet-up.
She started this informal group a coupla years ago, and they meet twice a month.

Anything you can do with a needle in public, you are welcome to do with them.
One woman was constructing an intricate hat, another was crocheting an afghan, a couple sweaters were in process, and an amigurumi--those tiny cute/kawaii Japanese crocheted animals.

I repaired a couple holes in my Star Trek wallet. I've carry it in my back pocket since Annette gave it to me maybe 15 years ago.
I cut a sunflower out of a carrier for a reusable bag--a replacement eye for Spock:


Then I met up with Julia to sew at Marz's workplace. It was Marz's last work shift--tomorrow she heads off to a WWOOFing gig where she will shear sheep!
More needlework connections---the farm sells roving as well as raw wool.

Julia and I used to sew--usually mending--in public a lot, and people often stopped and asked what we were doing. J has been talking about making a mending zine---I love the idea of attaching a darning needle and a twist of embroidery thread to the cover, and carrying it with me when I'm sewing out and about to give away.

5 comments:

  1. handwork with others in person is so much fun! and encouraging. i belong to an online group but it's not quite the same. i've been making a pinney to wear over leggins and a t-shirt which makes me want to do more sewing.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps tell marz to learn how to properly stand when shearing sheep! it is back-breaking. i took a class a few years ago. by the way if she gets good she may want to think about offering her services especially to smaller farms. good shearers are hard to find anymore. i know some people she can contact if she wants.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed that along to her—thanks! She leaves tomorrow morning—but will only be 5-6 hours away.

      I’ve enjoyed Instagram mending groups too – –but for me, it is nicer to do physical things in the physical presence of others I think

      Delete
  3. Groups here are often called Stitch 'n Bitch 😄

    ReplyDelete