Friday, March 8, 2024

Lead Artist

High school students are issued laptops, but in class they write on paper with pencils (or pens), and there are pencils lying all over the school grounds--and beyond.
I've started to pick them up, and yesterday, walking to the city bus with students on a field trip, I invited them and my coworkers to pick up stray pencils too.

Two students picked one up. (Hmph, no coworkers did.)
Good enough for me to declare it A PROJECT. "When we get enough, we'll glue them into a collage."

Back in our classroom, I labeled a jar to put them in.

The Found Pencil Project
Lead Artist: Francesca
(^ get it?)

At the end of the day, waiting for the school buses, I told other coworkers about it too. One, also fairly new, pulled a handful of pencils out of the pocket of his hoodie. "I've been picking them up too." He gave them to me.

A teacher said, "If it involves glue, the students will love it."

I'm thinking for one of our field trips we could go to the art institute--it's on the same bus line as the school--and look at George Morrison's  work.
Morrison was a Minnesotan
Ojibwe painter who also did sculptural wood collage, which he called painting with wood.

Below, right
: Red Totem I (1977), George Morrison
Below, left
, some of yesterday's pencils

(I like Morrison's weathered found-wood collages better, but ^ this red piece is the one that's currently on display.)

I'm starting to feel at home in this workplace, enough to come up with my first project anyway. Working in this new setting is like a test of what powers I've gained in the past six years.
As long as you keep doing the same thing, it's hard to measure change.
I'm surprised how much confidence and ease I've gained, for working with people. All sorts.

______________________________

I told Abby about the pencil project at dinner last night, and she said, "Can I steal your idea?"
She's a sp'ed assistant at a different school, and there are pencils all over there too.

She gave me news of the thrift store.
(She still volunteers 10 hours/week there.)
I won't go into all the details, but it's worse than ever.
Mr Furniture had been out sick on my last day. Turns out he got so sick, he was hospitalized, and no one did anything. Everyone knows Abby and Mr F are good work pals, and she was outraged that no one even let her know.

I said the store was worse, but that negligence is actually par for the course.
Mr F is home now--I will take him a meal this weekend.

Abby said she told him that I love my new job, and he said, "That's good--I love San Francisco."

10 comments:

  1. That Mongol (?) looks pretty mysterious. Pencils for machine-scored tests are often silver, but that pencil looks like it’s been painted. Good to bring all those pencils into a new life.

    Your story of non-communication at the store is appalling. Yes, someone should’ve let her know. But more: someone should have let everyone know. Maybe a small sign by the register or where people hang their coats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pencil Identification will be a separate activity 😊
      Yes, appalling—the thrift store always operated in this way. Signs? What are those?

      Delete
  2. oh, i have the perfect artist for pencils: http://www.jennifermaestre.com/index.htm although she uses pencils that are drilled figuring out how to do it with glue could be an adventure!!
    sorry to hear mr furniture. and yes, the store should have let co-workers know. they may have wanted to express their good wishes but it was taken away from them. it's their choice.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KIRSTEN: thanks—those pencil constructions are fabulous!

      The management of the thrift store simply didn’t/doesn’t think in those terms. So frus
      That’s why I always said it’s an “everyone for themselves“ mentality,

      Delete
  3. Mr. F and i have loving San Fransisco in common at least.

    Your wings, my dear !! unfurled and put to good use! BRILLIANT. Genius idea for the found pencils - I just donated bags full to the charity shop, some inscribed "Compliments of Mrs. Owens", their erasers hard as rock. I did not think of making an art object out of them...I need you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Owens! Lol— is she the grandparent of some Orphans?
      ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  4. Also , where did Orange Crate go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never mind, I have found him!

      Delete
    2. I’m glad you found OCA again —he’s my oldest blog friend

      Delete