Monday, February 26, 2024

Morning Routine

It's 5:45 a.m., with a big setting moon outside my dark window, and I just got an email with my official work email and sign-in info.
How 'bout that? I guess I really am starting!

I'm up and showered, having my coffee... I'm used to leisurely mornings, with lots of time to blog. If I want that, I'll have to get up early.

What will I like for a morning routine?

I'll be leaving the house by 8 normally. (This morning I have to get there early, to get shown around.)
bink walked with me to my new workplace yesterday--walking leisurely, it took us 25 minutes.
It's a pleasant walk down residential streets--lots of little single-family houses with liberal yard signs and tended gardens. A few blocks out of my way, there's a busier street with coffee shops and  indie yoga studios.

It's quite a change from my trip to work in the other direction, which got more and more run-down.
I happened upon a list of most & least dangerous neighborhoods in the city--the most dangerous was Phillips, where the thrift store is.
That seems right.

The most safe is the neighborhood where my sister lives--not just because it's relatively wealthy, but because of its geography:
it's pocketed between lakes, and there's no big through-streets.
And where I live now is in-between.

I've got several messages wishing me a good First Day, and Marz offered to walk me to my first day of school, which all made me very happy.
And, Maura gave me a first-day-of-school present--a pencil case... with GEL PENS!!! and a little fidget toy.

Okay, I've got to go make lunch now, and make final decision about what to wear. Jeans, yes. I want to wear my new pink hoodie--partly because it's going to be warm today (maybe 60º!)––but––if only to show the teacher I've thought of it
(kids' sensory issues)––I will wear a neutral color instead.
When I looked it up, some autistic people said their calming color was RED, so who knows?
And that's just it--I don't know, so I will start with neutral and go from there.

Tootle-oo, all!

P.S. Here's the documentary about Chris Packham and autism:
"Life with Asperger's Sydrome"--(the name "Asperger's" is (mostly) not used anymore, now called autism).
It's good, though not as good, I think, as his doc about four other autistic people, "Inside Our Autistic Minds"--but it's safe to watch on youtube.

4 comments:

  1. Human happiness studies show a walking/biking commute of ~20-25 minutes is basically the best for our little creature selves, so I'm very rationally excited for that part of your day, coming and going, and for all the middle bits too! But I checked in here out of excitement with no knowledge of your commute specifically, so perhaps I'm just rationalizing a generalized happiness for your new solar system and orbits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very exciting and your walk to work sounds like one of my favorite kinds of repeated walks where one can get to know the various houses and gardens and watch out to see what is blooming when.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  3. MICHAEL: Thanks, I did good!

    ANON (Happify!): I share your rational excitement to learn that 20-25 minutes is ideal for a self-propelled commute! Thanks for telling me.

    CECI: Good point--it will be fun to watch the yards, now frozen and brown, come into bloom.

    ReplyDelete