Monday, February 12, 2024

Going Off-Planet

 
BELOW: left, first days in BOOK's, six years ago;
right, on my last day, two days ago
            . . . Will BOOK's fall down without me?

They shouldn't: I found the perfect replacement--godwilling, Big Boss will hire her:
a young Somali American woman, a first-year college student who lives in the neighborhood and has been coming to BOOK's since she was a girl.

She was the first person I'd thought of, in fact, to replace me, but I only knew her first name and had no way to contact her.
Luckily, as I'd hoped she might, she came in on Saturday--my last day.

"Do you want my job?" I asked.

She totally did want it! Minimum wage is no problem for her--that's what her college pays for work-study jobs, for which she was currently applying--but she'd prefer BOOK's.

I texted Big Boss (BB) to recommend her, and he said he'd call her this week. Manageress knows and approves of her too.

My last day was lovely, all-around. I didn't do any work--I hung out and talked to lots of regulars--many were sad but supportive of me leaving. And I was really touched: several friends came by to see me out--
Rebecca, Julia, w/Derek, Michael. (Emmler was home with toothache, but invited me for celebration lunch next week. )
bink came at the end and drove me home, with several big bags of stuff. (Now spread all over the floor.) 

Manageress was angry when I told her it was my last day.
Turns out she was especially mad because she'd wanted to give me a going-away lunch:
"We were going to buy pizza!"
Funny that after all this time, she doesn't know I hate the stingy pizza they always get--and it's not like I made a secret of it.

But at any rate, I didn't want a staff send-off. I like my coworkers, but they're mostly new and we don't have strong ties. The ones I worked with in First Covid & when George Floyd was murdered have left--mostly because of poor pay and management. Even the ones I had problems with, like Ass't Man, I'd felt connected to, because of what we'd lived through together.

More than I hate Domino pizza, I hate that BB doesn't care about (keeping) people.

(I take heart that the Sp-Ed teacher who interviewed me has been at the school for nine years, and she said a lot of the team have been there a long time too. That's a good sign.)

By the end of the day, all was well with Manageress & me, and I'm glad of that.


I texted BB that it was my last day. "The next time I see you, I'll be a customer". Unsaid: But I won't see you if I can help it.
Since he's never in on Saturdays, that'll be easy.

He texted back, "Blessings on this next chapter in life. You'll do great!"
He didn't seen sad either to skip the pizza party.

I'm a little surprised that the main thing I feel is RELIEF.
I'm not surprised that I'm also angry, because I was all along--but I guess I'd been holding it together more than I knew, since Ass't Man left four months ago, my work husband/nemesis. And before that too. Letting it go is such a relief.

I am grateful to myself for getting myself out--and for cutting my leaving short. Good going, Self!

Oh--one final side-by-side.
I didn't have enough books for a Black History Month display, but the illustration of this modern LOL
 doll makes a good side-by-side with photo of educator and grassroots activist Septima Poinsette Clark (1898–1987).

More photos of Black women by Brian Lanker.

No comments:

Post a Comment