Thursday, December 7, 2023

Opening Night

Penny Cooper read the lease for Apartment 320, where we live now, and it says No Candles.

With Hannukah approaching, great concern arises.
Meetings are held, and a
contingent representing those who most love to set things on fire come forth.
"We request an exemption," they say, "because we are Zoroastrians!"

The delegates are hurriedly recalled, and hushed consultation ensues.
The delegation returns.
"... Because we are Jewish."
And for good measure they throw in, "Also, Orphans!"

(They aren't any religion, really, not actually caring about that human stuff. But they do love holidays.)

Today, with Hannukah starting at sundown, I find an electric menorah at work, and thus whoever controls Miracles & Wonders shows themselves to be responsive to the hearts of dolls and bears, and to subscribe to the old wisdom:
The show must go on!

Golda the bear and the girlettes struggle to untangle the cord of the electric menorah before the sun sets
"Silly bear!"


BELOW: A moment of panic. "This outlet was not designed for toys! We lack the height!"
But circus experience comes in handy, and a solution is found.

And, ta-da!

The bulbs twist on and off, so every night you can light a new candle.

P.S. 6:17 p.m. Oh, wow! I set the menorah in the window, and JUST NOW I heard children's voices, passing by on the sidewalk outside, and a woman--their mother?--said in a voice of happy surprise,
"Oh, look! They have a menorah!"

It brought tears to my eyes to think we've shared this little bit of light and hope and praise.
____________

And so, now it is dark, and I offer my personal favorite prayer for dark times.

Watch, Creator, with those who work or wake or weep tonight.
Give the angels and saints charge over those who sleep.
Tend Your sick ones, rest Your weary ones, bless Your dying ones,
Soothe the suffering ones, pity all the afflicted ones,
Shield the joyful ones, and all for Your love's sake.

Amen.

6 comments:

  1. what a lovely photo of the menorah with the girlettes and golda. the passerby's were a wonderful delight.

    serendipity on finding an electric one.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was meant to be found and to bring joy and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks SUSAN! Another thrift-lover—yay!😄

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big believer in prayer, but I love this prayer.

    I have been reading your blog for months. I forget how I first found you, but you often make me think.

    Thank you.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. JULIA: Thanks for commenting and saying that my posts often make you think. I am struggling to make sense of the world as it is now...

    I love that this prayer works well as a thought-poem,
    even if a person doesn't believe in prayer.

    ReplyDelete