Sunday, November 12, 2023

Book's Opening Day

I am super proud of BOOK's!

I'd foolishly thought moving all the books would take an afternoon. Ha! Yesterday, three days after we'd moved the bookshelves, I almost finished reshelving books.

BELOW: Me, left, in the old space w/ a new--OPEN--configuration of shelves;
right: coworker Croquette Jeff (not exactly helpful, but I like him--we talk about cooking) coming thru the Back Room door--new Book Nook to right.


This is my baby, and I moved the actual books themselves, (because I wanted to cull/rearrange them) --but a lot of people helped bring the Book Nook to life,
starting with volunteer Dalton, "the Marine", suggesting to Big Boss that we use the nook space better--then, her coming to me for suggestions.

BELOW: Dalton (far left) and Grateful-J (check shirt) moved the white metal shelves into the Book Nook. (G-J did everything that required tools.)
Then Art Volunteer (far right) moved the wood bookshelves ––out of Furniture––into where the white shelves had been.

BELOW, Reflected in mirror:
Emmler (right, holding donut) was a huge help: moving stuff; strongly suggesting that I include shelves for Cool Old Things; and emotionally the most helpful, telling me to calm down. (I was a bit frantic.)
Funny, because she often spins like an off-centered top--"You're acting like me!", she said-- but once she's focused, she is On Target!

Everyone's happy!
Moving my books out of Furniture gives that department much-needed room and gives my books their own dedicated space, where I'm not constantly fighting w/ encroaching dressers, desks, etc. for aisle space.

Yesterday, Saturday, was an unofficial opening day (though lots was still undone). Many customers commented positively--and one, negatively--she didn't like not-knowing where things were.
Me either!
I have lots more to do: I'm not sure how to best reflow the topic-sections. And once everything's in place, I also need to relabel all the shelves--the old labels were in tatters.

Onward!

2 comments:

  1. how awesome to see the whole idea come to fruition. if it were me, i would have been halfway through and started asking "who's idea was this?"!!

    i'm sure the books are much happier now in the new space.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL KIRSTEN—that’s exactly what I thought! 😄

      Delete