Sunday, October 29, 2023

Plug It In

Erg, now I wish I'd bought this ^ electric cat candle. 
At work yesterday I'd plugged it in to test it. It was so cute I left it turned on, and soon someone had it in their cart.

Plug It In

"Do you think it's happier here at work, the past couple weeks?" Manageress asked me.

I do!
Spirits have lifted with Ass't Man leaving a month ago & Supervolunteer Dalton arriving.
Dalton runs on overdrive, which creates its own problems, but it's inspiring that she is plugged-in.

Her style reminds me of something Gen. Colin Powell said:
Train people so they can do and believe they can do what needs to be done. Then trust them to do it.
He's a realist:
Maybe they (you) won't be able to do it, he admits, but going into a situation with training and confidence is a great start.

That's the opposite of Ass't Man's overly cautious approach.
Whenever a change was suggested, his response was, "Well, the problem with that is..."
He wouldn't even try to plug in the light.

Not that the store employs Colin Powell's approach.
Rather the opposite.
Yesterday I asked Grateful-J to get moving on (literally) plugging lights into the dimly lit Book Nook. That project is so back-assward, sadly SOP for the store. Drives me nuts.
It's been more than a month since I'd first asked G-J to get lights in there. He's a grown man who knows how to do stuff, but he acts like a boy who needs permission.
He told me he has to check with Big Boss.

"No you don't", I said. "BB is in charge of the other store and 30 parish groups too--he doesn't need us to bother him with stuff we can do ourselves. Let's just do it."

We looked at the space, and he said he could rig up something basic. "Even a bare bulb on a string would get us going," I said.
We'll see what happens, if anything.
______________________

BELOW: I also redid end caps yesterday. Ass't Man's were the best, but mine are fine. I don't spend much time on them, which is also fine.


A dozen more banana boxes of media 
were found--AM had stashed them away in a closet. Jesusmaryandjoseph!
I threw out all the VHS tapes that'd been out for months—including FIVE videotapes of Dances with Wolves—and put out all fresh stock. (Surprising, but some people still use VHS players.)

DVDs are moving at the 49¢ sale price, but meanwhile, more media is continually being donated.

I wish I had someone to discuss these work things with, but there really isn't anyone. Dalton's 'do-it' energy is great, but she doesn't know much about retail, less about thrift, and nothing about vintage. 
She just likes order.
She's been a sharp clean wind, much appreciated, but I'm not sorry she'll be moving on in two months.

I have to roll my eyes at myself, though:
I am not particularly effective in own personal affairs. Like, I have some financial papers that have needed attention for more than a year.

I am going to sign up for a refresher course in Attending to Annoying Things on Your Desk at C-KAPE, the Captain Kirk Academy for the Pursuit of Excellence.

2 comments:

  1. Cat light a treasure, in some one else’s house, sad. Pursuit of excellence made me laugh. By the way, someone on instagram sent me a message worried about you and missing you but before I could reply the message was gone…(?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, LINDA SUE!
    Yes, I should know well the Thrifting Rule: GET IT WHEN YOU SEE IT!
    Hm--that's odd about the Instagram comment... but it was rude of me to disappear on everyone without saying anything first. I kind of regret that, but I felt desperate to escape!

    ReplyDelete