Sunday, September 10, 2023

"You're in the right place."

I walked into the reception for Douglas Ewart wearing my musical headdress. The gallery director saw me right away and said,
"You're in the right place."


When Douglas saw me, he stood still, and quiet. He was looking closely at each element on the frame.
His rare ability to quiet, to pay attention, is a kind of generosity.

I'd like to be more like that with people. I tend to get hyper in social settings.

Btw, my favorite element on the headdress is a rolling wheel for sealing ravioli— like a pizza cutter —with a crimping edge--the 2nd uncolored clanger from the left. I'd picked it up in the thrift store and wondered what it was--a customer told me. Oh, bink points out it can also seal pie crust. 
________________

II. “Talk Werk”

BELOW: Donated like this. I might bring this dictionary home.


BELOW: Books, side-by-side. Henry VIII's wives disappear when you pour hot water in the mug.
(Some volunteer ladies in housewares are indiscriminate in their label placement--smack in the middle of a decoration on a plate, for instance.)

III. Bionic Leg!

I'd stopped on my bike and picked up a run-over action doll--its legs were intact and I thought one of the girlettes might like to swap a leg.
"Me! Me!" said Puck.

Ta-da!

(Heating the area with boiling water or a hand hair-drier softens plastic enough to pull/push a leg with a joint in and out.)

IV. Apotropaics to Be Made

BELOW: Em came in on her birthday last week, and I gave her this broken porcelain doll I'd saved for her. (I'd dropped it and the face broke. We get a lot of these modern, fake-antique dolls.
"They are not alive", says PennyCooper.)

E has an uncanny way of looking like other things.
 

She has not worked on the red board for our collab and isn't actually sure where it is. I'm giving her the clown board, but maybe this project is at its end.
She's really brilliant at of-the-moment creation though. I should/could show up at her place and say,
Let's make alley protectors!

I want to make an apotropaic for a particular person. A regular customer texted me--a month ago we'd exchanged numbers re some books--apologizing for the delay. He'd taken a month off due to "some deaths in my immediate community."
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the mass shooting at a DIY punk/queer community / performance space a mile from the store.

I was thinking what to do...  
Like I did for Linda Sue's son who was shot by police, I decided I'll make an apotropaic for this customer.

What's the etiquette for expressing care toward witnesses and victims of hate crimes anyway?

Why is this a real live question in my life? Our lives.

Wrong place, wrong time?
Right place, wrong time?

Right place, right time?