Saturday, August 26, 2023

Happy Haul!

I waited an hour in line at the food shelf, but it was worth it: I got a great haul for hot lunch at work! [I'd written earlier today about my decision to start looking for free food so I can cook for my coworkers once a week or so.]

I'll keep a few things I got (Greek yogurt, cheese and crackers), but most will become pork stew for work on Monday. I'll take the bars in too, and the candy if I don't eat it all. (I probably will--I have a liiiiittle problem with compulsive overeating of sweets. AS I WELL KNOW, I shouldn't have even picked it up.) I dislike sweet peanut things, however, so I won't eat the bars.

The food selection was very nice, but of course a lot of it was donated by groceries because it's expired, or about to. The meat was frozen, so it's okay--thawing in the fridge. The sliced peppers were not rotten, but a touch slimy, and the mushrooms are on the edge, so I'm cooking the sauce right now, as we speak.

Oh! I have an eggplant in the fridge. I'll cook that up and make a vegetarian version too. Also, one of the guys is Muslim and doesn't eat pork.

 After a very hot and humid week, today the weather is beautiful, and it was pleasant to wait outside. Folding chairs are set up under the portico that runs alongside the church--below, right.
The food shelf is in a church building behind the church itself.

This, above ^ is the view from where I sat at the end--just outside the door to  the food shelf. I attend Mass at this church sometimes, but I'd never gone back here, behind the church.
On the left is the old rectory. A beautiful, big, old building, looking pretty crumbly. I saw the priest going in there, I wonder if he actually lives there. That would be somewhat unusual these days--maybe he just has his office there?

The whole process was friendly and respectful.
There's no vetting--anyone can come. It's set up like a grocery store--a few people at a time go in and help themselves. Labels tell you how many of each thing you may take. As many cucumbers as you want! But only one pork tenderloin.

They weigh your food basket/cart at the end, to keep track, but ask
no personal questions. The food shelf is open some weekdays too, 11 to 4--perhaps the line is shorter. I'll try on one of my days off.

For today, this is a big win. When I left, I teared up, thinking of how many people work for free to help make this work.
I'm as grateful for the kindness as I am for the items.
________________