Wednesday, July 19, 2023

II. Bunny & Blanket

Second post this morning....

I am this bunny's lost sister!

II. Cover Me

A couple days ago a young woman, a girl, really, maybe nineteen? was sitting on a chair in BOOK's, nodding out.
This happens sometimes at the store--a person on heroin (synthetic opioids, actually) sits looking dazed, slumps further and further down, almost tips over . . . and then catches themself and sits up again, only to do it all over again.
I usually make sure the person is conscious and leave them alone.

This young person was a little unusual though. I asked her if she was okay.
She startled and said, "I'm just reading this book about osteoporosis."
She was indeed holding a book about osteoporosis that she'd pulled off the shelf, though she wasn't reading it.

Did she want some water?
"Oh, can you do that?"

I went and got her some.
There are so many people addicted to something toxic, as long as the person is conscious, we don't call 911 on them.
Later I checked on her again. "Do you need to go to the doctor?"


"Oh, no. But is it allowed to sit on the couch?"

I helped her carry her backpack over to one of the couches. She looked around confused, "Is this a thrift store?"

It is, I told her. Would she like something to eat?

Again, surprise--"Oh, is that possible?"

All we had in the break room was a pan of peanut-butter rice krispie treats frosted with chocolate that a coworker had made. I brought her a big piece, and she seemed pleased, and thanked me.

She dozed or whatever on the couch a couple hours.
"She's on the moon," a customer said. (No one's particularly phased by people nodding out on our furniture.)
I looked it up, and a high lasts about four hours, so I figured she'd be okay by closing time.

I checked on her one more time before I left.
One of my coworkers had wrapped a blanket around her.

7 comments:

  1. bunny is happy to have found their sister!!!

    how sad to hear about young people particularly women who are already in the grip of alcohol or drugs. i can see why they do so as they think that they have perhaps no other options.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that when I was completely tired out, absolutely shattered.. no drugs needed!
    Interesting that different substances can have the same effect

    ReplyDelete
  3. kindness and compassion- "Oh, Is that possible?"
    Love you dearly bunny sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KIRSTEN: it is disturbing to see, so young—I pray they live through what might hopefully be “just a phase” if fentanyl weren’t so dangerous.

    GZ: yes! In fact I even wondered if it was exhaustion the girl was suffering from… Hard to know. Like how people on the street experiencing a stroke have been dismissed as drunk.
    Either way, dozing on the couch all afternoon with water was probably helpful.

    LINDA SUE: The bunny likes to share her snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that pic of you and the bunny! How sad about the woman, but I'm glad you and others took care of her. I'm also glad GZ mentioned fatigue -- I wonder if she's just exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STEVE: possibly she was exhausted, though that would also be very odd. I just don’t know her story. Maybe she’ll be back…

      Delete
  6. MS MOON: Oh, yeah, every day.

    ReplyDelete