Friday, June 23, 2023

Tiny Bubbles at Cross Purposes

I stood at work holding a donated can of Scrubbing Bubbles, wanting it as bad as I'd want a warm brownie.
Scrubbing Bubbles is fantastic! I'd only discovered it last year when I moved into my new apartment where half a can had been left behind. Its soft white foam falls softly, gently––like fake snow in a Hallmark Christmas movie––and it twinkles away soap scum as if by magic.

It damn well should work great:
using Scrubbing Bubbles is like spraying napalm in your bathroom.
*
It takes no prisoners. Its tiny bubbles score an F from the Environmental Working Group.
(At that link ^ you can search other household products, and more.)

I know that, and I WANTED IT ANYWAY.
It felt so good, so heavy, so effective in my hand, like a yellow Taser in a can.
The Prime Directive of all living things is to conserve energy, and bygod, Scrubbing Bubbles is Starfleet Command–approved in that category. You don't have to do anything but turn away.

I turned to Ass't Man, sorting electronics nearby, for help: "I know this stuff is bad. What cleaner do you use?"

"Dawn and vinegar."

And Helen, sorting clothes: "You don't even need the dish soap. Vinegar alone works great. And it's cheap."

At the Environmental Working Group site, vinegar gets an A.

I forced myself to put that warm brownie down. I didn't feel virtuous, I felt bereft and beleaguered.
I went home and scrubbed my bathroom with vinegar.
It does not sparkle.

I'm not kidding, you know. I had to MAKE myself not buy the Scrubbing Bubbles. I thought about that struggle to not-do the easy thing, the socially normal thing, when I read how Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings cleans her house in her memoir about living in Florida, Cross Creek.


Ms Moon got me interested in taking a closer look at Florida when she wrote a terrific post about her love for and her distress over her home state, Florida: "What Are We Doing Here?"

Also re Florida, elsewhere Ms Moon had mentioned M. K. Rawlings' The Yearling--and that's another book from my childhood that left an impression. It's in the category of books I'm not rereading though--books whose message about growing up is:
Either you or your pet have to go.
Old Yeller is another.

I know that is often the brutal reality of life, that we can't have what we want. (Put down that can of Scrubbing Bubbles.)
But in childhood literature, I prefer the message of Charlotte's Web: Reinvent reality! Write your way out of it!

We happened to have a copy of Cross Creek (1942) at the store though, so I picked it up.
[Also, Finding Florida--pictured above. Has anyone read that? I will start it next.]

Cross Creek astonishes me. MKR's writing is as vivid as biting into an orange and as startling as seeing a snake. And, like To Kill a Mockingbird, it is not scoured of realities uncomfortable to the modern sensibility.

Since I am trying to understand, not to pass easy judgment,
this is useful.

For instance, so. . . how does Marjorie K Rawlings, a white woman, clean her house in the 1930s?

She buys a twelve-year-old Black girl. Literally. 
Here's the opening of  chapter 9 "Catching one young":
I bought Georgia of her father for five dollars. The surest way to keep a maid at the Creek, my new friends told me, was to take over a very young Negro girl and train her in my ways. She should be preferable without home ties so that she should become attached to me.
My friends traced a newly widowered father of a large family that he was unable to feed as a unit. He was happy to 'give' me Georgia, with no strings attached. A five-dollar-bill sealed the bargain."

Georgia is no Scrubbing Bubbles though--she does not give her all to making the house shine. MKR ends up paying the girl's father another five dollars "to take her back again".

MKR & ZNH

MKR became friends with another woman writer in Florida--Zora Neale Hurston, who was Black.
ZNH wrote a letter to MKR after reading Cross Creek praising it to the Moon. She even offered to come keep house for Marjorie KR after her maid Idella left (she'd finally found a "perfect" one):

Marjorie Kinnan
Rawlings to Edith [Pope]
1943 Oct. 19. [Cross Creek?]

"Did I write you that Zora Neale Hurston wrote me of her distress and disgust at [MKR's maid] Idella's leaving, and knowing that I was trying to get to work on a book, offered--though she is working on a book of her own--to come and take over until I finished my book?
It is one of the biggest things I have ever known a human being to do. It made me ready to go-all for the Negro race."

––From the ZNH and MKR archive at the University of Florida.

Over and over I think, it is easy to judge people in the past for going along with social norms, but how will the future judge us for going along with the social norms of our time and place?
Won't the past hundred years of our snorting fossil fuels up our noses look evil & insane?

What do I risk in putting aside the social norm? Is it really such a price to pay, to clean my own bathtub? No, but I genuinely had to force myself not to buy those tiny bubbles.


Marjorie KR went along with the social norm of her time and place in buying a girl, and then she bucked it in befriending a woman. At first she is afraid a friendship with Zora Neale Hurston would hurt her husband's business, but later she declares she will pursue it even if it does.

It is simple from a distance, and it is complicated up close.
Reading, and writing, help me stand back and see.
Those tiny bubbles and my desire to do right are at cross purposes.
____________

* Re napalm. Wow. I did not know this till now, researching Scrubbing Bubbles further:
the product was originally called Dow Bathroom Cleaner, before it was sold to Johnson & Son.
From PBS: "Napalm and the Dow Chemical Co."

BELOW: Protesting Dow at the UW in Madison, where I grew up, in 1967--I would have been six. I remember many such student protests--we lived a couple miles from the U, and our grad student neighbors were very politically involved.


And I was right about the selling power of laziness--Scrubbing Bubbles' tagline is ––
"
We work hard so you don't have to!"

13 comments:

  1. Fresca, do you remember a Household Hints from Heloise? There was always an emphasis on vinegar.

    ZNH did indeed work as a domestic in later life. She also opposed Brown v. Board of Education, saying something like, Why should I want to sit next to someone who doesn’t want to associate with me? People are indeed complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MICHAEL: Thanks for that reminder about Hints from Heloise. IF ONLY WE'D LISTENED ALL ALONG!
    I was just mentioning that Dear Abby repeated two very good points:
    Make a will, and spell out who gets what;
    And, If you're lonely, volunteer!

    I know little about ZNH--want to know more.
    All our copies of ZNH's "Their Eyes Were Watching God" sold, but yesterday I picked up a copy from a Little Free Library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God. MKR IS so complicated. And yes, her writing is magnificent and yes, she is as big a racist as anyone of her time and yes, she did befriend Zora Neale Hurston.
    And I think it is also important to remember that Ms. Rawlings was not originally from the deep south. Born and raised in Washington, DC. Which again, yes, is the south.
    It's so interesting that your take-away from The Yearling is that either you or your pet have to go. I guess that is true but there are certainly a lot of extenuating circumstances. Whatever. To me that book is about trying to live in a place that is wild, to tame it enough that you can make make your "grits and grease" from it. While at the same time, knowing you'll never tame it entirely. The wild will be wild. Just as Jody's little deer was. And just as much a threat to the Baxter's ability to feed themselves as Old Slewfoot, the terrible big bear had been.
    Oh gosh. It's just so complicated. But on just the level of what life was like in Florida during that period of time, no one did better than Rawlings, I think.
    I have not read "Finding Florida." Hmmm...
    Never even heard of it.
    Many people find "A Land Remembered" by Patrick D. Smith to be the best historical fiction written about Florida but Smith's writing was such a gross disappointment after Rawling's that I did not much enjoy it although I learned some things.
    And after you read "Their Eyes Were Watching God," you will know a lot more about hurricanes. Among many other subjects.
    Dow Chemicals was rightfully demonized during the Viet Nam war. Well, at least in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, MS MOON:
      thank you for putting me onto. MK Rawlings as an adult. I suppose I was about ten when I read “The Yearling”—and so my emotions were touched more by the boy’s loss of the deer than the struggle to farm Florida 😆
      even at that age though, I did understand that the deer was a real threat to the family’s survival —the parents weren’t being mean—
      same as Old Yeller really did have rabies and need to be destroyed.
      Sadly humans have found a way to destroy the wildness, eh?
      But not without cost to ourselves.

      I do not think there’s any doubt that Dow Chemicals was doing the work of the Devil.

      Delete
    2. PS MS MOON: Dow also manufactured Agent Orange.

      Delete
  4. If Florida wants to ban books for children, they should ban Old Yeller, Big Red, and anything else where the beloved animal dies. And the movies of those books should definitely be rated R: seeing those, as a elementary-school child, at the drive-in were traumatic experiences! At least Bambi was a cartoon!

    Crazy...the idea of buying a child/slave in the 20th Century!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BINK: Yes, I am surprised at the depth of my own naïveté but I was shocked MK Rawlings would come right out and *say* she BOUGHT a girl with “no strings attached”.
      And no editor questioned it? In a book published the year the US entered WWII.

      I’m with you about books movies where children have to kill their pets, or witness them dying—add Bambi to the list of movies to ban! “Let’s shoot Bambis mother!”

      Delete
    2. PS published 1942, so technically not the same year

      Delete
    3. PPS BINK; oh yea, you included Bambi. It was a cartoon but all too real!

      Delete
  5. So much grief trauma in tales for children- Land Before Time , Dumbo, Old Yeller , Velveteen Rabbit, so many-oh yes, they destroyed us forever- still can not read or watch stories for children- What is the damned point , the orphans want to know.
    Vinegar is so useful for all sorts- Shiny hair conditioner- what my mom used on my hair- made me hungry for pickles all the day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LINDA SUE: my mother talked her whole life about being traumatized by Bambi.
      There can be grief in children’s books—like “Charlotte’s Web”—that helps kids explore loss and sadness without freaking them the eff out forever.

      My auntie would moisturize her hair with olive oil—between her and your mother, we’d have salad dressing! 😆

      Delete
  6. I wonder how many people's deaths that Dow was responsible for? A dear friend of mine died recently from cancers caused by exposure to such things in Viet Nam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MS MOON: I remember you blogging about your friend--what an awesome guy!
    Damn... and it was Dow Chemicals behind the Bhopal disaster too, I see.
    "In the three decades since the incident, up to 25,000 people have died, and over 500,000 have suffered a variety of ailments "

    ReplyDelete