Saturday, June 24, 2023

Me and U

“Be who you needed when you need it most.”
--Sign, below, with stuffies 

Restaurants and shops emptied out of the Uptown after George Floyd’s death.
McDonalds is one of the few remaining businesses on what was a swank strip. On the corner is a library. Also--a block away, Magers & Quinn, an indie BOOKSTORE. Yay, libraries & bookstores!


I stopped my bike to photograph this scene, above, and the young woman signing on the corner came over. 
“I love your toys,” I said. “Here’s ten dollars to buy them candy. Do they like candy?”

She was pretty blank (she looked exhausted), but she said thanks, yes they do.

“Do people give you these?”
I meant the stuffed animals, but she reached behind them and pulled out a bag of candy. Sour gummy worms.
“Sometimes.”

I wasn’t who she needed most, of course. (“I am not the savior.”) But I was not entirely not, either. And she was a touch of what I needed, by showing me the candy and the toys.

There are different philosophies about how to help people most effectively. I don’t see it for myself in terms of effectiveness…
For me, I'd say that the question isn’t so much “How to help people?” 
but rather,  “How to BE a person”.

If you want to be an effective philanthropist, you research and invest in schemes to do the most good for your buck. And that’s good!

If you want to be a human among human beings, that’s a little different. Giving ten bucks or a sandwich to someone desperate is as effective as dripping water onto a desert of hot sand.
Poof! It’s gone, seemingly wasted.

But the ecology of a human being doesn’t work quite like that, right? We’re not mathematical equations or corporate entities. Something else is exchanged when you give someone a sandwich or when you yourself receive charity (unnecessary kindness).

If you're looking for signs of your own effectiveness, and returns on your investment of energy, better to invest in malaria nets.
(Of course a person can do both. It's not either/or.)

It's not a person living on the street who I find it hardest to see, it's people like that volunteer Rob I mentioned last week--the rich, the complacent, the do-gooder. He raises money for effective charities. No doubt his work saves lives.

I talked to him again this week, trying to see that humanity, but for me, his is as shielded as a beetle. Or maybe there's nothing underneath his shields of religious platitudes? Maybe that's him. Someone who does good deeds for The Poor. (I hate that phrase, "the poor", like they're not us, they're A Specimen.)

Boy do I struggle with Rob in my mind. He told me that that evening, he and his wife were going out to a certain restaurant for their wedding anniversary.
I looked up that restaurant's menu--their ribeye steak is $58.
Ha-ha, yeah--I am looking for evidence against him!

I'll be honest. I do not like him.
If I had to accept charity from him, it would feel like an insult, not love.

I don't have to like someone to see our common humanity, but I can't see through this guy's shiny carapace.
I am laughing as I write this, but it is the truth.

Verdict:
Try again. What is a candy or a toy for him?
But I'm not going to try forever. Some people, you're never going to see or be seen by them.
It's okay--walk on. There's someone on the next corner who is what you need or who needs who you are.

10 comments:

  1. Yes.."The Poor" really grates

    ReplyDelete
  2. GZ: I'm glad you know what I mean--it's so condescending! Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It intrigues me that Rob volunteered to work in the store. That just doesn't sound like what Rob would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms MOON: you are right—he didn’t truly volunteer—he was assigned to the store by the Catholic seminary, where he is exploring if he wants to study for to become a deacon. Like the baby sems, he’s supposed to be having an inner-city experience. However, he seems so shielded, I don’t get the sense he is absorptive 😆

      Delete
    2. PS MS MOON: and He’s only at the store for six Mondays.

      Delete
  4. "the poor" sounds dismissive because it is...Povvo sounds uniting, a tribe of sorts with whom we totally relate. I love that you offered $ for toy's candy needs. You seem to be trying very hard to find and surface the gold in persons at your job- it is there but secret, probably- survival I suppose. "Be hard, Be cool -like Charles Bronson, unscathed, keep the gold close, do not show your hand- too vulnerable". Of course that is not living the life is it? They lose so much and on their death bed will (might) realize " Oh shit! I bloody well missed the point!" I think that you may be trying to save them that realization after it is too late. Your work is good. Give
    EBQ a day off. Toy Candy Queen, carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LINDA SUE: I appreciate your insight. I’ve never been around many men like Rob, and every time I am, I am mystified and I do poorly with them.
      They seem like The Charles Bronson Beetle to me, yes indeed.
      And I sense I am a gnat to them—insignificant and slightly annoying.
      Not a great mix.
      STEP AWAY!
      Be the Toy Candy Queen—you are correct!!!

      Delete
    2. PS Thanks for the reminder of Povvo! Yes! Shabaz could almost do a video about Rob.
      “I weep for the poor over my $58 Ssteak.”

      Delete
  5. ha-ha...I hate to break it to you...but a $58 steak only qualifies Rob as middle class...and unwilling to splash out on his anniversary to spring for an upscale steakhouse, like Manny's, where the steaks run on average $80, up to $120 (which is why I've never been.) I don't think those steak prices include a single side either... everything else you want is bought ala carte!

    But you know I'm totally in your camp. Monied, privileged, people are so much harder for me to understand, deal with, sympathize with, or care about. It's an area I have to work on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. BINK: OK, yeah, $58 for a steak--and it probably comes with a potato and a side salad = CHEAP DATE!
    LOL

    ReplyDelete