Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Jump for Joy

In the past couple weeks, we have jumped from 40º F to 80º and everything is green.

Here's the Marzipan, jumping over her bike.


Swirl of Joy

Volunteer Art is always aetheticizing my BOOK's area--last year he hung the two paper lanterns, below, which soften the fluorescent lighting. He also mounted picture rails on top of the bookshelves, so he could set art for sale there.

Last Friday he'd asked me of a newly donated rug, "Do you want to put this in your area?"
I'd said no, but over the weekend I had a dream that we had put the rug down, and it looked great.
Yesterday I told him my dream, and he said, "Let's do it."

So we did--neither of us bothered to ask permission from any of the three managers--and it does look great, and makes me super happy!
A lot of feet walk through that door--I hope the rug's swirly pattern will disguise dirt.

BELOW: The swirls point people to the back room, where books, furniture, electronics, and hardware are. I've long thought there should be some visual invitation because people occasionally say, "I didn't know there was a back room," or, "Can I come in this room?"


I'd rescued that vintage (1970s?) wedding dress, above right, from baling (to go to textile recycling). Its underskirts of tulle and swirl poof out the skirt and make a pleasing crunchy sound--it's just gorgeous (... and tiny).
And isn't it pretty the way the customer, center, wears her scarf. (I think she's Moroccan.)

Bright Animals.

Totoro had told me about alebrijes, the fantastical painted animals featured in the movie Coco, which I've never seen. Speaking of dreams, these animals first came to artist Pedro Linares in a dream in the 1930’s. [via--"Alebrijes in Coco"].

BELOW: These are not properly alebrijes, which mix-and-match different animals, but the Mexican grocery store where I often go by the thrift store carries brightly painted animals in that style. (They are made by hand, but mass produced for sale.)

"Someone Is Wrong on the Internet." (Remember the xkcd cartoon?)

Someone recently complained that Coco was not subtitled in Spanish.
I had to restrain my compulsive editorial self from commenting to this person I don't know that, in fact, Pixar did release the movie with Spanish subtitles and also dubbed in Spanish. "Why the Spanish Dub of Coco Is Even Better..."

I do try to restrain myself from fact-bombing people [🙄 me, librarian to the world].
If people want to know things, they can look them up themselves on the magic boxes we carry in our pockets.

But sometimes I do correct people at work, if it's something that matters.
The other day during the Three White Dudes' discussion of Tom Petty, two of the guys asserted that Tom Petty died of a drug overdose.
The third guy expressed distress--he said he'd thought TP had overcome his addiction.

I seemed to recall it wasn't addiction, it was pain medication.
So though these guys have smart phones, I double-checked, and yes, that's the case--
--Petty was touring in extreme pain, including performing with a fractured hip, and was taking a lot of bad meds, which killed him. (It's complicated, as this article discusses:
"
I’ve treated scores of people like Tom Petty. Drugs are only part of their story", www.statnews.com/2018/01/23/tom-petty-accidental-overdose)

I shared that privately with Third Dude.
He said he was glad to know, and thanked me.
How you feel about the death of someone you love matters.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, the rug looks like some magical path!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TORORO: A magical path for magical animals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's almost identical to the rug we have in our living room. We got it in California to cheer up that drab condo and have kept it ever since.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that rug! it reminds me of something- a painting, etc. it'll come to me but yes, so inviting!!

    that 70's wedding dress. those are so fun to find even if you have no intention of wearing. i just love them.

    and as far as looking up, i am totally amazed at the number of people who carry phones around but are always asking a question that can be answered with a simple search!!! i'm on a forum and people do that all the time.

    from one fact-bomber to another!!

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rug is very welcoming. You definitely have a store within a store now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rug is perfect! I love how it leads the way to the next room. What a good dream you had!
    Listen- I don't just have a compulsion to fact bomb people, I have a gut need to STRAIGHTEN THEM OUT ON THE TRUTH! I can barely restrain myself at times. I think the things that bother me the most are FB postings that are so blatantly untrue and so I must, simply MUST go to Snopes.com which of course is always true (I'm sure!) and then post a link in the comments of the blatantly untrue FB post.
    This is not how you win friends and influence people.
    But you were so right to find the truth about Tom Petty's death for that guy. I am sure he was relieved to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fact bombing with confidence, i admire that ! I am trying to get my facts straight about
    American history- loads of PBS programs and they all point to the FACT that this country has sucked from the get go. Dennis (flag waver)is a guy from the fifties, brainwash era, so my "facts" have to be clear...and confident.
    I love the rug in your space- I love Marz defying gravity. I love that you allowed Tom to rest in peace in a truth that is somewhat more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete