Sunday, April 16, 2023

! "Be who you are, and be that well."

It's snowing this morning! Two days ago it was in the high 80s and I was wearing shorts and sandals. Time for a quick photo drop before bink comes over for Sunday coffee, then I'm going to see R, my friend ever since the art college library thirty-some years ago. She has her own place for the first time in a long time too--I'm really looking forward to seeing what she has done with it.
What do we do when we can do what we want?

I found an online MLS (library science) program from a state U. I'd just found out state-supported colleges give almost-free tuition to people my age. Does that include classes toward a master's degree? I bet not, but I'll look into it.

BOOK's is under BB's radar,
luckily, but between his intermittent heavy-handed pronouncements and the Decay of Civilization right on the store's doorstep (I'm not even writing about a disturbing incident), I am feeling disgusted with work. But not with BOOK's!

How 'bout this fabulous fat exclamation point? I displayed this book face forward and it sold right away.

I had to get this NYPL T-shirt ($4), even though it was too small. I hand-sewed side panels to expand it:

So far only one person answered the question. She was reading St. Francis de Sales. I like his saying,
"Be who you are, and be that well."

And here's a pair of saints--I LOVE these old chalkware statues, and this one's unusually painted.
It's Saint Ann sharing a book with her daughter, the BVM (Baby Virgin Mary).
What are they reading?

 On Ass't Man's suggestion (!), I wrote NOT FOR SALE all over the statue's base and it now lives in BOOK's---up high, blessing us with readerly energy:


BELOW: I'd pulled this T-shirt from baling--it really is pilled, but had to have Princess Leia encouraging reading.... with her gun?
Big Boss did not know who she was. Another example of the cultural gap (chasm) between races.
I came across an amazing, hopeful article about the rebirth of Barnes & Noble under new ownership/management of James Daunt--treating each store like an indie bookstore, reflecting its neighborhood...
I approve of his attitude, of course:

“Amazon doesn’t care about books … a book is just another thing in a warehouse,” Daunt says. “Whereas bookstores are places of discovery. They’re just really nice spaces.”
Last picture this morning. I'd saved up Harry Potters till I could put out a full set (or two), plus (incl. cool English paperbacks of the early books).
I'd priced the hardbacks high, for us---$5, 6, 7. Most of these sold within the hour.
(In the case below lies an Indonesian puppet.)

7 comments:

  1. The Barnes and Noble here is pretty much crap! Maybe just too far north to catch on. I love what you are doing and you do belong there for now, A light in the shop!
    Continuing ed is what we call it- We take classes periodically , subjects of interest. With four colleges in town it is easy! Come up here some time, you will love it!
    The chalkware woman and little girl are fabulous! - and so are you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Barnes & Noble in Champaign, IL (note: a college town) remains disappointing. It’s like the Union Square store of the past that the article describes: toys, calendars, tchotchkes (which I can spell because it appeared in a crossword yesterday). I hope the improvement inches midwestward. (I think the promise of improved B&Ns goes back to 2019.)

    I hope you can do the degree for free if it’s what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know for sure if Tallahassee still has any Barnes and Nobles. I think maybe one. I make do with the libraries and GW bookstore which is not a bad bookstore.
    I love those chalkware statues too. Those VM's definitely have some jiggy eye make-up. They look like my granddaughter Maggie painted them.
    I have one but she's pretty traditional.
    Love the mermaid too. I think she's a mermaid? In front of Harry Potter. Did you know that almost all cultures have mermaid stories and images?
    Hey! Go for the education. Your brain is open to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LINDA SUE: Hi! Most of the B&Ns here closed, and while I didn't love them, I'm sad that there's no bookstore in downtown Mpls (except one VERY expensive antiquarian one on the edge of downtown)--and that just means more people shopping Amazon.

    BUT, more indie bookstores opened around town, and that's good.
    And of course MY BOOK's, where, you're right, I'm doing good for now.
    Will look into classes, for sure! (and would be fun to visit you!)

    MICHAEL: I always have to look up the spelling of "tchotchkes"!
    It should be easy enough to remember---repeated tch's...
    Sorry to hear B&N by you is not a cool indie... The article says each outlet is supposed to be indie, but both you & Linda Sue report yours is not.
    So... a ways to go, eh?

    I don't really know if I want an MLS, but I do want to study something, just for fun!
    I am a little wary of the politics of universities, but I would probably steer clear of humanities.
    I was thinking of something like The Geology of Minnesota.

    MS MOON: Isn't that eye make-up the best/wackiest? That was definitely the deciding factor for me keeping the statue for BOOK's.
    The figure in the case below the HP books is an Indonesian puppet--looks like a mermaid lying down, but not when it's standing up. It's beautiful--I even thought about getting it, but it's 3 feet high...

    The thing with classes at the U that appeals to me is it's SO FAR from the the culture of impoverishment I encounter daily, which can grind your bones to dust...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say learn what classes you can take for little or no money, and take them, and more. Time to wear the red hat. You've earned it!
    I like your book display!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seconding Joanne's comment!!

    I love that quote...say it loud!! And your book display is great...and it works ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. JOANNE: Hi, nice to see you! I like that--"time to wear the red hat"--yes indeed. Thanks for the nudge.

    GZ: And you too--nice to see you, thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete