Wednesday, January 25, 2023

 Self-Portrait in a Thrift Store Mirror

A convex mirror was donated to the thrift store, so I took a selfie...


...modeled after the Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror by Francesco Mazzola, called Parmigianino, 1523-24 (Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna):

A couple other things at the thrift store yesterday...
Vintage salt and pepper shakers that meow--or moo--when turned upside down, like a kid's farm-in-a-can moo/baa box:

BELOW: Remember flash bulbs? So exciting, their controlled explosions... Like a sneeze.

BELOW: Boy on the floor playing with toy vacuum cleaner

The Baby Sems are volunteering at the store all week. Seventeen young men (23–30 y.o.) in their first year at the St. Paul Seminary,
studying to become priests, come two at a time for two-hour shifts.

I didn't walk them around the 'hood yesterday, I walked them around the store.  Salient features: bullet hole in window (windows which had been replaced in the uprisings after George Floyd's murder); drug dealers across the street; Mexican food truck next to them; Narcan kit for opioid overdoses in our first-aid kit; bathrooms & dressing rooms closed, to prevent people overdosing in them (and shoplifting); the red bench Grateful-J made so we could put boxes of free food up, instead of making people pick up food off the ground; the store's organization--decorative endcaps, books in order by topic, clothes separated by size--for good service but, just as much, to make it a pleasant place for people to come.

"It's all very well to talk about love and service", I said, "but you have to make these little decisions every single day about how to do that. And it's wearing, and annoying, and the despair can really drag you down--and you have to think, how do I keep doing this? What sustains me in the long run?"

Talking with them, I see myself and the store as if in a mirror. I'm proud of us--we look good. We do good. And under crazy circumstances. I knew that, but it's a nice thing to see through the eyes of these fresh and shiny humans. Their teeth! Their hair cuts! They are so well cared for. People think they matter simply for existing!

It's draining to talk for four hours (I get one of the volunteers on each shift), but it's terrific to have help! Aside from Vikki who does puzzles for a couple hours on Wednesdays, I never have help. And these young men can pick up boxes like nothing.

Yesterday one of my helpers was a little older--26--and had worked as a civic engineer. (They all have undergrad degrees; some have work experience.) I asked him to help rearrange my book-recycling corner, which was a total mess.
He set it to rights.
"You really are an engineer!" I said. He and I talked a lot about fantasy novels--his other interest. Lord of the Rings (the Catholic elements), Star Wars, Harry Potter--these guys are a generation that grew up with HP. I recommended Murderbot...
It was nice to talk to someone who reads.

So far only one of the sems--(my favorite, of course)--has asked me any substantive questions (or, any questions at all). But that's normal for humans. (Maybe especially for young male humans.)
That one stand-out had studied history, and he was eager to hear what we'd experienced at the store and what I thought about George Floyd's murder.

9 comments:

  1. It is so interesting that the young men have been sent to a thrift store in an inner city area. I am assuming that it's a Salvation Army thrift store or something like that? I am still new here in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious to know where the cash goes other than paying workers minimum wages. Since it is a catholic charity do any of the proceeds go to planned parenthood, JOKING!!!
    Anyway I love what you are doing there. It holds our interest and the thing that roll in are really quite fabulous, you make it an art!
    Glad you have the good company of lads that lift boxes and engineer the shelves. Always a good thing to have around . Maybe they could come by every week to fill in the gaps, for free because, devotion.
    Self portrait is right on target! You may want that mirror so that you can see around corners in your new studio home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. talking about the tough parts of the neighborhood and even within the store must be hard. but for the young sems it is perhaps an opportunity to learn that not everyone has an easy time and that growing up and living in the neighborhood can be hard. and that your store serves as a "somewhat safe" place for people -- a source of food at times, clothing, a place where children play and enjoy themselves.

    and perhaps that a bit of kindness to another person goes a long way even if we don't ever see the results.

    yeah, it's a young male human thing not to ask substantive questions. at the same time they may even be intimidated by you!

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. MS MOON: The Salv Army would host any volunteers, but the sem has a connection with my store because it's part of the Catholic Society of St Vincent de Paul.
    (SA says: "The Salvation Army stands independently as a denomination of the Christian church... It started in the 1860's when Methodist minister, William Booth, began reaching out to the masses living in poverty in London.")

    seminarians would seek out an inner city thrift store because the Catholic Church follows the same teachings--from Jesus' saying, "whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me":
    'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
    I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me,
    I was sick and you looked after me,
    I was in prison and you came to visit me. '
    Matthew 25:35-37

    LINDA SUE: The store does not make much profit--at 99 cent each, you can imagine my BOOK's & Toys cover my salary but not much more.
    Profit supports the SVDP Food Bank, which picks up and redistributes food (mostly from corporate donors who want to offload it) to food shelves.

    GZ: Thanks--I didn't spend much time setting up the shot but it was fun!

    KIRSTEN: Yes, that's it--talking about the store is worth it if it shows the sems a bit of the bigger world.

    And I like what you say:
    "a bit of kindness to another person goes a long way even if we don't ever see the results."

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to read about the experiences of your "sems." Let us know how that goes! I'm sure working there IS a bit like being in a fun-house mirror at times. I'm sure it offers a new perspective, at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course it's a St. Vincent de Paul! I should have known that. And I wish with all of my heart that more people who claim to follow Christ would follow that directive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve only recently come across your blog (during a Google search about the show Black Books) but I’ve been perusing it and had to comment on this post specifically. You my friend are a rare gem with a heart of gold. In this day and age of our society being connected electronically but disconnected both socially and morally, so many people will leave “thoughts and prayers” but you are actually putting in the work. And for that I commend you. Your passion for reading, dolls, toys, your city and just humanity as a whole shines from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Anonymous--thank you for that kind comment---it really lifts my heart, which has been feeling rather squashed at work lately.
    I turned off comments on new posts because I'd been having some problems, but thank you most sincerly for commenting on this older one.

    ReplyDelete