Monday, January 2, 2023

Girlette Fashion Week; TRP Returns

Vivienne Westwood died the same week that a batch of old handmade doll clothes was donated to the store. I'd brought the clothes home to photograph, and the girlettes said they wanted to wear them--influenced, perhaps? by all this talk of fashion designers.

The clothes are for bigger dolls, so I've been redesigning them––always, at the girlettes' request, respecting the integrity of the original.
This dress w/ train, below, is for processions, of which the dolls have many.


BELOW: A play dress.
I found the orange stretchy band on the street yesterday. It reminds me of the decorative cord ties on kimono.


To show the hand-stitching, I hitched up the front hem.
I separated the side seams, and left the back long. I love to see frayed edges and selvedge.

 
 More to come.

Meanwhile, after a holiday break, Toys Recreate Paintings (TRP) is returning. I might have let it drop, out of laziness, but a participant pal, Stefanie, requested we do something by Leonardo da Vinci.
I chose his Lady with an Ermine" (1489) for this week's TRP.

As always, everyone is invited to make and share their own--here, or on IG at #toysrecreatepaintings.

This is a preliminary study. I'm looking forward to making the slit sleeves.

7 comments:

  1. MICHAEL: Thank you! But that's an ERMINE, not a white bear... So says the white bear, I mean ermine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to wear those clothes! doll clothes are one thing i rarely see at thrift stores.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivienne Westwood would have been impressed.
    Bonne année, Fresca, Girlettes, Bear, Ermine and all the gang!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice tribute to Vivienne and nice use of handmade dolly clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about the new chosen work, everyone is. There was so much enthusiasm that the orphans went about on their own looking for ermine in the wild. Also impressed with Vivienne fashion and the model, of course. Vintage well worn doll clothes are the best- and rare. Lucky find!
    With the orphans out on a hunt, a puppet and a rabbit stepped up to re-create Leonardo's pretty girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KIRSTEN: If it weren't for me, old doll clothes that get donated would get tossed--they're often dusty or dirty, and sometimes shredded.

    TORORO: Thanks for the vote of confidence and good wishes!

    MS MOON: It's fun to reuse these dolly clothes!

    LINDA SUE: I wonder how the ermine hunt is going... This cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete