Saturday, January 14, 2023

2010 Self-Portrait: "while you're alive you might as well show your bare ass"

Well, having just said I was too shy to take good self-portraits fourteen years ago, I remembered the Red Wall self-portraits I took over a summer day in 2010--catching the changing light on a wall I'd just painted red. (I used the plastic drop-cloth in one photo. Oh, I just remembered--that was 3M window-wrap I'd saved from winter. Ha.)

I was uncomfortable posting them, but I wanted to, too. Partly because I always did––and do!––want to see older women, the reality of what our bodies look like, how they change. Partly because I wanted to blow away the lies that left me nothing but lost and broken hearted.*
And partly 'cause I loved and was surprised by how well they turned out. (This was before cell phone cameras--I had some dinky digital camera.)

This, below, the boldest, is "Red Wall, Afternoon". Let's see... I was forty-nine here... Maybe I should do something so bold again now!

Oh! Looking back at the original comments on this series, I see I had quoted Jim Carroll:

"There ain't much time left, you're born out of this insane abyss and you're going to fall back into it, so while you're alive you might as well show your bare ass."

A very Captain Kirkian sentiment. But actually, I'd quoted Carroll in response to a commenter who thought I hadn't revealed enough.
I disagreed--the photos were a com
plete revelation--you don't have to show your literal ass.
(But I dared her to go first, if that's what she thought was called for. She did not take up my dare.)
Also, I loved using the plastic window wrap as a classical drape.


*Bruce Springsteen, ya know...

4 comments:

  1. Interesting looking at photos and thinking how paintings were done too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those self-photos. You look very strong in them and I feel certain you still are. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHH sister sister!! This is way too fabulous to even comment! Godamn gorgeous!
    Geez 49 was a good age!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GZ: Absolutely---it's all about LIGHT.

    MS MOON: Thanks. I have been lucky in the extreme to have been strong and basically physically well all my life. I am grateful. I know it is not to be taken for granted, and I don't.
    (I did worry so much when I was younger, though, about being overweight--such a stupid worry I got from society, I wish I could expunge it retroactively.)

    LINDA SUE: Sister, sister, we were goddamn beautiful and we probably didn't even know just how beautiful we were! (I didn't.)

    ReplyDelete