Monday, December 5, 2022

Next Up on TRP: Beatrix Potter

Beatrix Potter is the sixth artist I've chosen for Toys Recreate Paintings (TRP). Her Tailor of Gloucester is my favorite book of hers, so I'm doing that one (the cover, at least); but as always, people & their toys can choose their own painting to recreate. NO RULES on TRP.

It was either Potter or Artemisia Gentileschi's Judith and Her Maidservant with the Head of Holofernes (ca.1623-1625)––here, at the DIA. But Judith will take some doing--the dramatic lighting, and so much going on. Maybe after the holidays.

Potter will be easier to recreate than the artists of the last few weeks–and easier to understand, too. I'm curious to see if that increases participation. Four of us interpreted Chagall with toys--up from three for Bosch; down from eight for "Girl with a Pearl Earring", the easiest and most famous painting TRP's done.
It's not a numbers game--I'd do this by myself--but I do want to include a variety. Suggestions welcome!

Join in, if you like! Here or on Instagram (#toysrecreatepaintings).

I made the invitation from my preliminary study for the cover of The Tailor.


I lost my thimble--last seen as a Boschian hat on a girlette's head.
I think it fell off outside and is now buried under snow, till spring.

5 comments:

Linda Sue said...

One of the sweetest stories, delightful. LOVE your first interpretation, made me laugh from the middle of my laugh place.
Now that I am on instagram may I post to your toys page? I am not sure how because, I unZucked and now he is snubbing me...

Fresca said...

Hi, LINDA SUE: Yes! just include the hashtag in the text of your post:
#toysrecreatepaintings

Michael Leddy said...

The block is genius!

Tororo said...

Sorry for poor freezing thimble... but the re-creation is wonderful anyway!

Frex said...

Thanks, MICHAEL & TORORO!