Friday, November 25, 2022

Where Do You Write Your Blog?

Where do you write?
I'd love to see pictures of your blog spot, if anyone cares to post theirs.

Here I am––(awkward selfie)––toasting you with my coffee cup.
You can see the black top edge of my laptop on my desk.
I've been writing in my south-facing bedroom window, so I can see the morning light.


My apartment's building is right next to the sidewalk, so dog walkers and joggers pass close by. That's a nondenominational Christian church across the street.The street is pretty quiet.

 It's 7:45 a.m. as I sit down to write this. The sun rose 20 minutes ago (7:24) and will set at 4:35 p.m.
NINE hours of daylight???
Jay-sus. I think that explains anything and everything about people's moods.

Oh, nice: the sun just cleared the rooftops, now at 8:13 AM.
Here's the view from the kitchen of my desk, lit up. That's Auntie Vi's afghan over the back of the chair, which she knit from wool she spun.


(There's also the west-facing living room, and a bathroom. Abundant space.)

I'm in a good mood, actually, despite the darkness.
Maybe the Vitamin D pills help? Listening to Michael Bublé's Christmas album? And definitely that Maura made a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, including the BEST braised collard greens with mushrooms (recipe from the NYT). Afterwards we watched a British Bake Off Christmas special.
All is well, for the moment.

It's supposed to be unseasonably warm today--up around 50ºF. At noon, I'm walking over to a little holiday fair on the corner. The indie florist there will be selling Christmas trees. I've been going back and forth about getting one--I'll just go see.
The shops on the corner are a bit precious (a Montessori toy shop) and more than a bit expensive ($30 for a toy hedgehog).
I expect the trees will be around a hundred bucks, but maybe I'll buy a twig...
We'll see.

The girlettes have their doll-sized tree they want to decorate this weekend, and honestly, that alone would be a complete, full-sized happiness.

Tootle-oo to you all, I hope you have a good day!

14 comments:

  1. I blog from the computer in our home office--which is actually just a third (small) bedroom that we use for that purpose. I'd take a picture of it but it's too messy at the moment! :)

    Happy belated Thanksgiving to you and the girlies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JENNIFER: Ha-haaaa, I understand about "too messy". :)
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Gregg, Poppy, George, and the fabulous MARCO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i write from my living room facing out onto the porch but a little chilly in the winter with all of the windows! i'm a little south and may have a smidge more daylight hours. i keep telling myself --after december 21st the days get longer even if only a minute or 2!!!

    even a branch cut off of a pine/fir tree is a lovely tree!

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. KIRSTEN: Oh, thanks for saying. My windows are chilly too--I've draped a blanket between the desk and the outer walls.

    Yes, even a branch of fir brings the SMELLS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blog world is so funny. Just as I was studying your beautiful face and space, you were leaving me a comment.
    Yes, we do live on rather different planets, don't we? A day here where the temperature only gets up to 50 is a frigid day. It was almost TOO warm yesterday. I had to change out of long sleeves early on. But thank goodness we could eat outside because I don't know how we'd all fit into the house. It's not a small house but the rooms are not that big. I mostly write my blog on the back porch which is protected and yet, at the same time, part of the back yard. This makes me very happy.
    Enjoy your dolls' tree trimming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresca, you’ve seen a photo of my desk: this.

    It’s either the desk or an iPad at the kitchen table or holding a phone wherever. (More typos that way!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MS. MOON: Hello! Funny timing, indeed:
    I'd just commented on your blog that I was listening to your family's Spotify playlist, and I wondered if that would clash with how I say I'm listening to Xmas music here...
    In fact, I'd just switched!

    How nice to blog on an outside porch! I love your descriptions and photos of your landscape. My mother's parents lived in southern Missouri, so not warm enough for outdoor Thanksgivings, but still a somewhat "foreign" land to me---in between you and me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MICHAEL: Thanks, but that link is broken? I get a 404 error. I'll try again later.
    But I do remember photos of your desk---with toy turtle, also pots of pens. :)
    I move my laptop around my apartment, and I also occasionally blog from my phone too--it's not great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your space! I LOVE your Auntie Vi's woolly wrap, that is an amazing keepsake, practical. I LOVE your face.You have a very nice place to write, and think, and eat soup or whatever. Looks warm and cosy. Raining here- I will post "from where i Blog". now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LINDA SUE: Thank you, that makes me happy to hear all that love.
    I love my new apartment.
    Auntie Vi's afghan is maybe my favorite thing I inherited (as it were) from her---I feel wrapped in her.

    Raining! wow... I wish it would rain here--we're deep in drought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Remember what I said about more typos? I’ll just paste without trying to make a link:

    https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PUVWVrVnRN4/XrLQx-VbpoI/AAAAAAAAWD4/nFxrKVbOCj84tkbgLNVQLLKpJI4iT66wgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Aerial-desk-2020.jpeg

    ReplyDelete
  12. MICHAEL: Thanks, that link works. I love seeing photos of people’s desks—also bookshelves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This makes me think of an afternoon moment I had walking somewhere near John's building. I like looking in open windows as a default (mostly at plants or snippets of life) and as I looked down into a garden-level, there was a person standing with a meal sitting on the sill, looking out and slightly upward. We made the very brief and strange unexpected eye contact (connection?) of two people who are both engaged in their own solitary visual eavesdropping. I hope it made him as happy as it made me.

    (I also often leave curtains open because I want to give those little glimpses of stories back to the world too.)

    ReplyDelete