Saturday, July 30, 2022

Matilda in the Garden of Fuschia

I painted a watercolor card for Fiona, an Instagram friend in Berlin, from a photo she sent of her doll Matilda on her balcony, gardening in a pot of fuschia.

 

It was a treat to get cards in my new mailbox (thank you!)––it helped me believe I live here.

Knowing how nice it is to get mail, I keep meaning to paint and send more quickie watercolor cards like this... and then I don't get around to it very often.
(Oh, our awful friend Procrastination.)

I was inspired to do this one after going to the post office to send a package to Fiona.  I did mail it, but postage has gone up so much, I can't afford to keep sending presents to Europe as I've done in the past. (
U.S. postage is outrageous too--except for media mail.)

But sending one card overseas is still a good deal: only $1.40. 

Fiona is kept inside by a chronic illness, so most of her social life is online. I figure it's extra nice, when you can't go out and about, if a little missive from the physical world comes to you.

6 comments:

  1. A lovely thing to do.
    $1.40 is halfway between a letter and large letter internal mail cost here..a very light letter overseas is half that again, but usually is double that.
    It is no incentive to send letters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GZ: It costs 56 cents to mail a letter or card within the USA.
    With e-communication feeling free (of course there are really lots of costs associated), it feels like a lot, but not too bad for the pleasure of paper in the hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. postage is impossible these days- mail delivery has become a once a week deal at my friend's house, no workers because Dejoy and gas expense.
    "the vandals took the handles"!!
    Your painting is so absolutely gobsmacking fabulous! You have inspired me- oh wait a minute- I see your procrastination and raise you one heat wave lethargy...nothing will be worth doing today. Too much degree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LINDA SUE: Paint won't even stick when it's so hot--you sit still now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 75 pence is the cheapest internal small letter here.
    I think more people we beginning to use that instead of the so called first class at 95p!!

    Email contact is ok...but a letter or card is special!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GZ: Yikes--your comment was in Spam! I must continue to check there.
    Anyway, wow, yeah, 75p is a lot for a small letter. Still, I totally agree paper mail is special and worth it occasionally at least.

    ReplyDelete