Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Inhabiting Their Characters

"We need to inhabit our characters", I was informed this morning by the girlettes.
Where do they get these things?
 

SweePo here (at bink's) is wearing ears that will be dyed brown for her character Bottom the Mechanical, whom Puck turns into a donkey:


I'm excited to make The Mechanicals' costumes.
They're the group of workers who are rehearsing to put on a play (within the play) for the royal wedding:
Bottom, the weaver; Quince, the carpenter; Flute, the bellows-mender; Snout, the tinker; Starveling, the tailor; and Snug, the joiner.

I'm going to collect bits and bobs of mechanical things from the store to make their costumes. Our metal recycling bin is full of goodies--old gadgets with indicator windows, wind-up counters, sprung coils... all gone haywire.
Perfect!

I'm really only interested in The Mechanicals and the Fairies.
The Athenian Court and the Dopey Lovers... who cares? (I think I am not alone in this.)

Bottoms Up

Marz called this morning to say she doesn't want to inhabit the role of (that is, to become) a merchant mariner!
Turns out--AS SHE WELL KNEW--you are away at sea for months at a time, sometimes for many months.
"I'd miss the people I love!" she said.


LOL.
Well, okay, then.
But––she is going to give it some time. At least a month.
(That's what I'd counsel.)

"Maybe it'll turn out I'm just here for the stories," she said.
Yes! The pickings are rich already--like the humor of The Mechanicals.

I told Marz maybe it'll be like how I studied at the U to become a funeral director. After a quarter, I realized no way was I suited to help grieving family members fill out insurance forms, but I never regretted the time I spent studying it.
It too was rich in loamy humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment