Sunday, April 17, 2022

Happy [Noble Sacrificial Death Holiday] from The Noble Penny Cooper (and me)

 

Noble-minded Penny Cooper loves to ride in a tumbrel to the guillotine every Easter, declaiming, "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done" (Tale of Two Cities, you know.)

The Mars Explorer is keen, but Bunny looks dubious:
"She has mixed up her sacrificial deaths."

(The backdrop is silk I harvested from an Italian tie. I never can bring myself to construct a guillotine, though I'm sure Penny Cooper would love it. 
"You could put my head back on," she says.
True, but... I just can't do it.)

Here is Penny Cooper in a Tumbrel, Easter 2019


Gosh, I have lots of good Easter posts! I didn't realize this holiday inspires me so much...

Upside-Down

I'm doing a thing you're not supposed to do:
making an untried recipe for a party.

I said I'd make a pineapple upside-down cake for BJ's Easter dinner.  BJ's the one with lung cancer. Two of her foster-sisters are in town to see her, and they're making dinner. Lunch, actually.


I've always used
my mother's pineapple upside-down recipe, (right, in her handwriting)
but instead decided to try
one with sour cream

that I found online.

(Partly because I have free sour cream from the thrift store--leftover from our weekly food give-aways.)

...and Sideways

Hey, ya'll, have you noticed? groceries have really gone up in price?
I scrounge so much free food from my workplace, and pick up oddments here and there, and I eat out a lot, so I don't often do a big grocery shop.

The other day I went to a big grocery chain store and ... toothpaste was five dollars?!?
When did that happen?
AND the shelves were not overflowing, which I've noticed before, of course--
stores have never fully recovered from the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of the first Covid wave.
 

Is this all supply-chain stuff?
Looked it up, and yeah--that and labor, etc.
More of the slippage and slideage of the era.

I was thinking I should make a list of little changes I notice. Some of it good, or, who knows?

Let's see...

Somali Women Bus Drivers

While there's an uproar about racial divisions in the US, and rightfully, so, I also see a ton of people... um, just rubbing along together.

I saw my first woman bus driver wearing a hijab this winter. No one batted an eye. I first saw a woman wearing hijab about twenty years ago? When refugees from Somalia started to arrive. 


The other day, I met my first family from Afghanistan--refugees from the end of the latest iteration
(the US version, 2001--2021) of that ongoing ... what do you even call it, "struggles in the region"?  (BBC overview)

My coworkers are from Eritrea, Mexico, Hungary, the Deep South, and small-towns and big cities of the Midwest. Hardly anyone grew up in this city.
Customers are from all over.
NOT that everyone gets along all the time, but

D
ecentralized digital currency

The grocery store where toothpaste costs $5 also had an ATM or some sort of electronic kiosk to handle Bitcoin (or other cryptocurrencies? I didn't look closely). Housemate has bought some, because her son is really into it, so I've been hearing about it.

Yikes--so much more, but I have to get going... In between writing this, I made the cake and set up Penny Cooper's Easter Tableaux.

Happy Easter, or whichever tale of redemption you subscribe to!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure it is Easter inspiration as much as just plain old springtime and rabbits are in the yard.The orphans have given it a think and have decided unanimously that it is all about butter rolls and ham. ( they do not know that ham is piglet, they just know that it is pink and pink food is the best) A guillotine sounds like a really good idea! An amusing apple cutter, the girls reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LINDA SUE: Oh! Your girls have the right idea---Next Easter I am going to use one of those apple corers or apple peelers for a guillotine--EVERY YEAR Penny Cooper hopes I will make one for her.

    BUTTER ROLLS ARE GOD!!!
    They die and resurrect, as it were, in our flesh.
    It's just nature!

    --Frex = Fresca

    ReplyDelete