Saturday, April 9, 2022

Candlesticks & Ice Picks

Waiting at a café for an old friend to arrive this Saturday morning.
I got this bronze bunny-friends candlesticks holder for her, from the thrift store of course, for Easter.
(I set it on my coffee cup to get height for my laptop camera--I still only have a flip phone. I miss the iPhone camera, but otherwise am much saner without the Internet on my hip.)


The café is around the corner from my cat-sitting house--another friend says it reminds him of Palo Alto.
There's nothing at all like it near the thrift store, that's for sure.

Yesterday after work, I was sitting on the bus-stop bench with Mr Linens, and he started counting his cash money.
"Don't count your money in public!" I said.

He--from the roughside of Chicago--said, "Don't tell me what to do, woman!"

"Yeah, yeah," I said, "but this is the bus stop where that woman got stabbed."

He put away his money, opened his bag and showed me a knife--in a sheath--and a small ice-pick (like for cocktail ice cubes).

I didn't say, Fat lot of good those are going to do you, in your bag, if someone comes at you out of nowhere.

I said, "That ice pick looks good."

"You want it?" he said.

"Sure!" I said. (It looks handy for poking holes in toy-related objects, or, you know, poking someone in the eye, except I doubt I'd be good at that.)

It's in my bike bag with me here at the café, so I'M PREPARED.

P.S. It occurs to me, for self-defense, slinging a heavy bronze candlestick holder would probably work better than an ice pick.

5 comments:

  1. always carry an ice pick i say! Never know when you might have to chip your way out of an igloo. Its simply good girl scouting, Cooper would say.
    "have a nice day..." ( don[t tell me what to do , woman.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still wouldn’t count cash in public.

    Mr.Linens needs to reassess: Is it better to count your money in public, be confronted by a thief, stab that thief (or try to), and suffer retaliation, or is it better to not count cash in public?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LINDA SUE: I think there is (or should be) a Scouting badge for "Ice Pick" --Be Prepared!!!

    MICHAEL: Well, Mr Linens has made some "bad choices" re weapons in his past, and paid his debt to society for those choices... so if he hasn't reassessed by now, it may be too late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool candlestick holder!

    Having spent 17 years in and around DC, one never showed any thing of value. I wouldn't even use my phone on the Metro. People would stand at the door and play on their phone with miscreants that would grab it right when the doors closed.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  5. KIRSTEN: Oh, yes, that grab-and-dash phone theft happens on the buses and city-trains here too--there are signs on the buses warning of it, but of course people can't resist being on their phones...

    ReplyDelete