Saturday, August 28, 2021

Tumbles


^ Book at work (1965)


Life continues in tumult here this summer. We've got a tornado watch this afternoon.

Yesterday, detectives were in the thrift store's parking lot--leaning on their car observing the "business" across the street, which ranges from harmless socializing to drug-addled, brain-blasted behavior (stumbling into the street with no account for cars) to actual murder.

I was hoping for a more John Snow–like approach: get to the source of the problem; take off the pump handle.
But no, it's like
living in The Wire, where everything ends up the same as it started. That's my prediction in this case anyway.

Not to be hopeless: Big Boss said one of our neighbors, as he calls them, got himself into a treatment program.

There's a lotta ways a person's individual story can go.

Then, this morning Auntie Vi called to tell me she's going into a residential hospice.
She is happy about it, she says, and content: she needs care, and drugs (she's in pain). We'd taken her home from the hospital a couple weeks ago on her ninety-sixth birthday, but living alone is not proving possible.

If she's happy, I'm happy. It's a smart move.
I am also deeply sad.
My auntie has been my only Family Home for most of my adult life. Even if I'm not saying good-bye to her right this minute, not yet, I am saying good-bye to that home now.

She refused exploratory surgery. Something complicated  is going on--but she pointed out she might not even survive doctoring. Her doctor agreed.
Vi has always been clear-eyed about practicalities.

I'm feeling sad and contemplative, but not bad. I'm proud of my auntie.
Courage and cheerfulness have been her lifelong guides. She's got her flaws (oh, yeah), but her strengths are strong.

It's good here, otherwise--especially since the temps are cooling off.
Well, today is looking to be a steamy stinker, but generally the temps are dipping into the 70ºs, and the days of rain feel (and are) replenishing.

I have the weekend off again, and I'm doing restorative things such as washing the couch cushions and pouring baking soda & vinegar down the drains.

You can't untangle the world, but you can clean the fridge.

3 comments:

  1. I wish your aunt ease, if that phrasing makes sense.

    I’m not a believer, but I can just about believe that the people who do hospice work are really angels in disguise. I’m thinking of my dad’s experience in hospice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cleaned my fridge just last week, threw out bottles and jars of expired stuff that I'd bought for particular recipes then never made that again. Poor fridge is looking quite empty now, although the freezer is packed.
    I am glad your aunt realises she can't manage, too many don't and persist in stumbling around a big old house slipping, falling and burning themselves on toasters etc.
    I can understand her not wanting surgery with such an uncertain outcome. I'd be the same if I was in my 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your aunt. It's great that she knows what she needs and isn't upset at the prospect of getting more care.

    Vacuum science -- WOW. A little outdated! (I'm assuming that means vacuum tubes and not vacuum cleaners?!)

    ReplyDelete