Thursday, June 17, 2021

Snapshot: The Verdict, "We hugged each other and cried."

A friend emailed me about having gone to George Floyd Square a couple months ago (April 20) to hear the verdict read on the State of Minnesota v. Derek Chauvin.*

She was responding to me saying I was baffled that
some people I know in town never went to the memorial site during the year it was blocked off. We live near the epicenter of a piece of history--like being where a giant meteor fell––so that seems a bit odd not to go–– to witness or pay respect or even just to take an historic selfie, "I was there".

I asked my friend if I could share what she wrote--it's such a snapshot of history--and she said yes.

This is what my friend, a white woman, wrote.
 
Re: George Floyd Square

I went a handful of times. Most notably, the day the verdict was read for the Chauvin trial.  It was surreal.

I was getting my first [Covid] vaccine in a huge temporary structure--think an airplane hangar--by the fairgrounds. I was marveling at the military, honestly.

When is a well-organized military good to have?

During a public health crisis, that's when.

I was impressed.

So I was sitting there waiting my fifteen minutes (watching the delightful absurdist play being performed in front of me) when [my teenage daughter] texted and said they would be reading the verdict sometime after 3:30.

I looked at my watch and it was about quarter to 3:00. I lurched up and hustled toward the exit.

A National Guard was by the door--a Black woman.
I said, "The verdict will be read after 3:30."
Her eyes widened behind her mask and we both stared at each other for a moment.
Then I bolted.

You'll remember, of course, how tense it was and how anxious we all were. I know I was. 

I drove directly to George Floyd Square. I called [my daughters] on the way and told them to just stay where they were. Not to leave the house.

I got to the Square right at 3:30 and stood there just paces from where he died. The atmosphere was like nothing I had ever experienced.
Stress, stress, stress in the air.
Waiting, waiting.

Then right before 4:00 there were murmurs and shifting movement and people all started looking at their phones. I remember a group of people were off to my left and they spontaneously all went into a big huddle.
Silent.

Then the convictions started to be released.
People were crying--I was--and praising God.
A woman--a white woman--came up to me and asked if she could hug me. We hugged each other and cried.

Then I left and drove home.
 
____________________

* The State of Minnesota v. Derek Michael Chauvin was a US criminal case in the District Court of Minnesota in which former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was tried for the murder of George Floyd during an arrest on May 25, 2020.

5 comments:

Fresca said...

On the day of the verdict, I went home--weird to me now--I can't remember why I didn't go to the square...
I do know was thinking if the verdict was not-guilty, which I expected it would be,
I would get my stuff together (anti-tear gas stuff, snacks, water) and go... because it would be ... I can't think of another word except "war", and I would need to physically present myself...

When it was guilty, guilty, guilty (! ! ! I still thrill to write that!),
I was so relieved (and thrilled, and surprised . . .but also just relieved I/we didn't have to go to war) , I just deflated into a limp thing on the couch.
HouseMate went to the celebration at the square, but I couldn't even get up off the couch.
It made me realize (again) how much stress we've all been holding the past year (not to mention Covid stress).

Of course the larger "war" (rebellion/uprising, whatever you call it) is far from over...
But that was a HAPPY day, a tectonic plate shifted, and there's no going back from that, whatever comes next.

"WHAT'S NEXT" is a great question!!!

Jennifer said...

I cried that afternoon, too. I heard the news on NPR when I drove home from work that afternoon and the tears started falling.

Linda Sue said...

There you are, right in the middle of it! I did not cry, I went into shock and had to sit for a long time trying to snap out of it to be a little bit glad. Still the charges should have been murder one and the sentence- life! He will still likely get off with a lame sentence, too much time has passed and he has had too much time to fabricate rationalization. "Just doing my job" - like an obedient nazi shit. Still, like you, I am glad that my emergency pack is still on the front stoop, unused.

gz said...

It was such good news..but on the same day in California a man of colour...Asian this time I think....died under a cop's knee.....
Despair but carry on in hope.

Fresca said...

JENNIFER: Thanks for commenting! It's so powerful that people around the world were watching, caring, involved.

LINDA SUE: Sentencing is in one week! Yes, it should have been life, but "aggravating factors" mean the judge can give a longer sentence, up to 40 years.
I read that l"egal experts are doubtful the former cop will get more than 30 years when he is sentenced on June 25".

We'd better keep that emergency pack, eh?

GZ: Yes, here too another cop shot another Black man, right away.
The "war" (whatever you call it) goes on, unabated.

The LEGAL conviction remains an unalloyed triumph though:

"Since 2013 in the US, Chauvin's is only the 14th such conviction out of 9,082 police killings.

"There has been one other Minnesota police officer convicted for a killing since 2013:
Mohamed Noor, a Black police officer who was convicted of murdering [white woman] Justine Ruszczyk Damond."

––Per
www.krem.com/article/news/verify/crime-verify/yes-chauvin-one-of-few-police-convicted-murder/536-2dd46942-0737-4398-b8bb-a7d2d6128db4