Wednesday, March 17, 2021

I don't know about your basement....

Instagram has been pushing book-themed candles at me.

Some of the scents of books are nice, when they're associated with actual books---the odor of binding glue, paper, maybe leather...

Dubious about how they'd translate into a candle, I looked more closely. Most sound pleasant enough ("Bah Humbug" is fir tree, fig, pepper & orange).
But their springtime offering “Book Cellar” is described as smelling of DIRT--BASEMENT--VANILLA BEAN.



Dirt is okay––maybe recast as "earth"–– but BASEMENT?
Does anyone buy this???

They should do “Reading in Bed”—
odor of dirty socks, dust mites, and your choice of dog breath or cat butt.

5 comments:

  1. What is basement smell? Let's see there was our basement in NC that smelled like damp sand. Or that basement that always smells mildewy no matter how hard you try.

    Dirt smell especially after rain is always nice.

    And why add vanilla bean to it? Isnt' that what you use to cover the other smells???

    "Reading in Bed" is better!!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. KIRSTEN: Right! MILDEW is what I immediately thought!
    Something damp anyway, which just isn't... attractive.

    LOL--and that's what I thought about the vanilla too: "Oh, to mask the odor, which won't work so then it'll just smell like sweet mold."

    Glad you like my Reading in Bed.
    A nicer version of that would be
    Fresh Cotton, Cocoa, and Lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m reminded of descriptions of Scotches: “tarry ropes,” “bandages,” “peat reek.” Those are distillers’ descriptions, meant as selling points.

    There’s a joke aerosol: https://smellofbooks.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a candle that smells like vanilla ice cream. I definitely wouldn't like basement, or dirty socks in a candle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MICHAEL: Those are fantastic odors and names! "Bandages"--that's really scary.
    Ha-ha, Smell of Books for ebooks--a joke, I know, but I can imagine it selling too...

    RIVER: I love vanilla!
    But I agree--definitely NOT smelly socks or basement.

    ReplyDelete