Thursday, December 31, 2020

New Year's Eve Day: Be the Squirrel

This morning, I see a squirrel has squirreled its way into a squirrel-proof bird feeder across the street.
Bad news be damned, I'm taking that squirrel as my model for 2021.

                  [istock photo]

I bought a bottle of bubbly (prosecco, the champagne of the era) to welcome in 2021 tonight.  

My goals for the coming year are not only to strain spaghetti through a tennis racket like Jack Lemmon in The Apartment but, like him, to turn in my key to my boss.
"
The old payola won't work any more. Good bye, Mr. Sheldrake."


I started the thrift store job with buckets of enthusiasm––I used to write up pages of ideas for improvements or fun changes at the store. They mostly sank in quicksand, and now I'm not only disheartened by the store's management, I'm a bit bored.

Sorting and displaying donated books is good work.
Though I've unpacked to every Cool Old Book a hundred copies of  The Literary Peelings of the Fisherman's Daughter; The 7 Effective Tips to Get Your Cheese While Losing Weight; and I'll Die Below:
The Hunt for a Lawyer on a Red Submarine, I wouldn't be looking for another job if I could also work on writing a volunteer handbook (we don't have one);
investigate grants for a barcode pricing system (we write prices on stickers by hand, and the cashier enters taps them in); maybe exploring social media more...

Those ideas of mine have all been somehow subtly discouraged and while I could push ahead with them anyway, now I don't want to––
especially not since Big Boss turned store management over to Ass't Man.

I can do something else. Not sure what, but something.
I can raid bird feeders!

4 comments:

  1. I always find it interesting how we can go from a very enthused employee to one of "you have sucked the life out of me and I'm tired of dealing with this stuff that you won't address."

    Squirrels are very adaptable! Motto for the new year: be the squirrel.

    Have a Happy New Year's Eve and here's to a better year!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their loss , it will be noticed and who knows, many may follow. Like Erik , you will find the perfect fit ! It may take patience and a few interviews and maybe rejection BUT, BUT BUT- it will happen and it will be a perfect step onto the feeder with grace and confidence! yay YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Year of the Squirrel to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute squirrel.
    My nearest thrift shop changed management a few months ago and when I eventually went back in it was so much different! Stock was rearranged of course, but a lot of the little knick-knacks I loved to sort through have gone, there is more actual furniture at much higher prices and the clothes racks have been decimated, less clothes available for more money. It's gone "up market" and I won't go there anymore.

    ReplyDelete