Sunday, December 27, 2020

Behind the Scenes: How the Girlettes Balance

Linda Sue at Lady Margaret's Curlers was wondering how the girlettes hold their poses. I always like to see "The Making Of"s....
so this morning I pulled together some examples and wrote to her:

I love when movies and photography achieve their special effects "in camera" instead of on a computer.
(Did you see  the movie Be Kind, Rewind, with Jack Black and Mos Def? they are rank amateurs recreating special effects with tin foil, vacuum cleaner parts, and other junk--I love it!)

Some incredible toy photographers use Photoshop, but for my own fun and satisfaction, I almost never photoshop the girlettes. (
I don't even own Photoshop.) I never studied photography or anything, but I do have an iPhone that is a breeze to use and takes pretty great photos.

To provide balance, I use whatever's at hand.
The dolls wedge their feet into snow or dirt, or they anchor them in tangled grass and weeds.
Mud is ideal:

A stick stuck in or on the ground behind them may prop them up.
You can just see a hint of a stick, circled in blue, behind Penny Cooper's right leg.
(I took this with the "portrait" option on iPhone ^. I don't like it---looks like a fakey Sears studio portrait.)

Often something they're doing or holding provides balance--like how Golda holds and is held up by her dreidel here:


A little something that's in the scene can serve as a foot rest to help a girlette balance too.
Even though it's in view, the eye often doesn't register the "little something" as a prop. Like the penny under Penny Cooper's foot here:
(But Golda in her hat ^ stands unaided. The girlettes can stand on their own, even a little off-balance.)

Eeble's foot is resting on a stick:

A hairband:

Occasionally the girlettes undertake a more ambitious scene, and I have to use a more elaborate aid.
Ivy here is hanging from Penny Cooper's hand on fishing line,
and Big Doll's arms are tied around Annie Evening--you can see the white string:

BELOW: Here's a rare "photoshop": my Christmas card in 2019 of Minnie Sutherland skating on the lake.
A clear-plastic doll stand held her upright.  Her body hid the stand's vertical pole, and I rubbed out the visible base in iPhoto's "edit".
It's a bit smeary, but again, I count on the eye to overlook such things, or on the viewer not to mind if they do register it.

I would just add, this was a challenging shoot:
the ice was too thin to hold me, so I crouched on the lakeshore and got damp and cold, and I moved Minnie on the doll stand into position with a stick.
I was worried I wouldn't get the shot before the sun set, but it came together in time.

I've never used it, but some swear by Blu-Tack--you know that stuff like silly putty for mounting posters on walls. Sarah uses it sometimes. LOL--I forgot, she even titled a post "Never Mind the Blu-Tack".
And that's the thing--mostly the viewer doesn't mind.
I myself even like to get a glimpse of what's going on.


Penny Cooper always says,

"A balanced approach is usually best."

6 comments:

  1. Interesting! Always nice to see "how it's done."

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks, STEVE: I always like to see how it's done too!
    You are a skilled photographer--maybe you'd like to take up toy photography? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I've seen you taking these sort of photos (or taken my own) many times, it's amazes me how much I turn a blind eye to the little props that provide structure in the final photograph. I never noticed the string on Big Doll's arm before and probably wouldn't have registered the penny or the hair band even though they are in plain sight. The girlettes are really so magical and compelling they hold all the viewer's attention, so we don't go eying about for anything that might cause us to suspend our belief in the girlette's world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips. The ice skating one is really great, the rubbed out bit just looks like the flurry of ice thrown up by a sudden turn of a skate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BINK: Thanks for the confirmation----even though you've seen them being photographed, you don't see the props.
    Because the girlettes are real! :)

    RIVER: Oh, that's exactly what I hoped---on the ice skating one, the blur of the doll stand looks like the result of motion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you , this is very helpful! AND very clever! Your Girlettes are so alive!

    ReplyDelete