Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Now it's morning

[Blog is thirteen as of today.]

HouseMate's son moved out last month, and the guest room is a sitting room again.

Rose Duquette, Tanya Barry, Golda, and Eeva, looking northeast

 

Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character is instantly gripping, and terrible. "I haven't really slept for twenty years," a US combat vet says.

A main trauma, shared with Achilles: betrayal by a leader (like Agamemnon), who does not do "what's right".
I've read or heard about that over and over, but never put it together as a war trauma.


But of course betrayal is a terrible wound in civilian life too. I felt it with a once-friendly colleague who turned on me when he became a manager. Make that Assistant Manager.
We get along well now. But I don't fully trust him.

7 comments:

Steve Reed said...

It must be nice to have a sitting room again!

Michael Leddy said...

The pattern in Shay’s book explains so many things that happen in workplaces — even when no one becomes violent like Achilles.

gz said...

Good to have breathing room as it gets towards winter.
Once AM went to management, the gap had to be there...you can't do both

Anonymous said...

I never trusted anyone after they went from a co-worker to management. If I was close to them, I often wondered when they would use info they might know about me against me.

Moving from a worker to management is hard and I never wanted that position.

Kirsten

River said...

I would never want to be a manager, I was asked several times to do the training for it, but always said no.
Sweet little Girlettes having an afternoon chat :)

Fresca said...

Hello everybody:
I too would not want to be a manager!
It's a trap, putting you between the interests of the workers (maybe people you worked alongside as equals) and the demands of the uppity-ups.

MICHAEL: Thank you for pointing out that the Achilles syndrome happens in workplaces too--once you pointed that out, I can think of so many, many instances of betrayal or criminal neglect on the part of management.

Fresca said...

Erratum, above comment: I didn't mean "criminal" neglect necessarily--more common may be merely (merely?) "neglect of duty".