Saturday, September 12, 2020

Endpapers, Slipcases, and a Bookplate



Hand-sewn binding repair:
"A friend of mine once kept a mouse in his house."

 
A box of Heritage Press books came into the thrift store this week. So pretty, but not particularly valuable. Each of these, however, still has its original Sandglass — the "four-page pamphlet discussing the illustrator and the importance of the book".  Most are still in their slipcase. I priced them high, for us: $4.50 to $9.

My mother's parents had a bookshelf of these--(or possibly Folio Society books, or the like). I never saw anyone reading one, or anything but paperback fiction; I think their function was to signal middle-class respectability.

 
They're from this man's estate (I looked him up, and he is no more):

6 comments:

  1. Lovely books! Mr. Holten who is no more ended up in a thrift shop, under the care of the fabulous book lady, it does not get better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love the attention to detail in old books. There used to be a fantastic second hand bookshop in Greenwich that sold all books for £1. They were sorted to an extent, but the volume that they bought meant that a lot were in piles. I got some great books there. I had to limit myself to ten on my fairly infrequent visits. I found a lot with name labels from one man, Terry somebody, who mus have died. He had a wide variety of interests, many of the same as me. I don't often put my name in my books. my Mum used to, and she also wrote in all the ones she took from her Mum when she died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LINDA SUE: A good legacy, I agree.

    SARAH: That old bookshop sounds IDEAL. My thrift store books are mostly $1 to $2.
    I did price these Heritage Press ones higher––partly because it bugs me that resalers snatch up all nice stuff if the margin is low enough.
    These are still a good deal for an average book lover, but probably not worth it for someone who's just going to re-sell them.

    My mother always wrote her name in books too--in ink (not ballpoint)––and added the date and place bought.
    I like to see such inscriptions, but I don't usually bother to write them myself--I don't hold onto books long enough, I guess, to want to stamp them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if that was my Dad's Underwood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. End papers! You don't see those anymore, except on really old books. I guess it got too expensive to include them.
    I have a really old very large atlas currently in for repair, the stitching and glue has perished, it's about 47 years old and well used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful endpapers. We have a bunch of Folio Society books in the conference room in our library. They're not in the catalog and no one reads them -- they're just there because they look nice.

    ReplyDelete