Saturday, August 15, 2020

"Bookish. Queerish. Sexual-ish."

The over-fifty dating site is so stiff at the knees, it needs a walker.
I decided to try an all-ages site this morning.
I don't know if I'm any more likely to meet someone there, but I sure had way more fun creating a profile. 


This site offers 33 flavors of gender identity, and you can choose "open to all". On the creaky site, you could only be a man or a woman, looking for either a man or a woman (not both or neither). 


I'm "identity-ish". Bookish. Queerish. Sexual-ish. (I didn't make that up.)

My intro:



 ❧   ❧   ❧
. . . And you can choose all sorts of questions to answer. 
I'd rather talk about movies that sexual/gender identities. 



A New Leaf is one of the best romantic comedies.

Again, the site is more with the times:
Harry Potter is hardly new, of course, but I like that the site asks your Patronus rather than your spirit animal, which is now considered a cultural appropriation.


I was complaining to a young man about how the guys who've messaged me on Site Oldster don't seem to have read my profile.

The young man explained, "Right. We don't read profiles. We just look at the pictures."


So I tried to choose more informative photos. I labelled this one, "My alter-ego".
(It's Red Bear! She doesn't get much screen time since the arrival of the girlettes, but she'd make herself known to anyone who would share my bed.)


Oh--in the Movies section, I added "Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?" from Nashville. That movie has it all on America.

I wish I hadn't paid for 6 nonrefundable months on the Oldster site. But since I did, I'll leave my profile up. Who knows?

10 comments:

  1. Much better! Stamp of approval! Now that you have sorted the oldster site, you could put more of yourself on there, like "I m not looking for you, you are looking for me, I am still alive alive OH! And full of pizazz"....that sort of thing, the old & shriveled -full- of- themselves may realize - it is not a game and they would be damned lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LINDA SUE--Ha-ha, that would be fun.
    Here's the thing--
    the Oldster Site is sooo s l o w, I can't get it to update my profile!
    The last time I contacted their Help line, it took a week to respond.

    But yeah, I think I will try to mix it up, if I can manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the Oldster Site is slow...a warning about the whole outfit?

    The new profile sounds enticing to me... I expect it's enlightening to even figure out what to write. I do not lead an examined life--I would find it impossible to describe myself for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JOANNE: I'm rather slow, myself, but I'm not still in the 1990s. :)

    SALLY: I too wonder if the whole outfit is not very up to speed...

    Yes, writing a profile is enlightening--it took me half the day, in fact.
    It's hard to sum up a life. I want to say---"Here, go read my blog", but I wouldn't invite anyone until I knew them fairly well. (Even though strangers are welcome--they're not looking for a date!)

    I'm surprised you say you don't lead an examined life---you'd mentioned about your Hungarian therapist--isn't therapy a self-examination? You seem thoughtful, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Red Bear reading and snacking on strawberries too :)
    Good luck with the new site, your profile looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that sounds promising! Love the profile, though if anyone asked me my "patronus" I wouldn't know what the heck they were talking about. Which I suppose might relegate me to the oldster site. LOL

    You are the only person I've ever heard say "Ishtar" is good. I've never seen it, so I can't judge, but I believe it's still considered one of the biggest flops in all of movie history. ("A New Leaf" is fantastic, though.)

    I once sat at a table adjacent to one occupied by Elaine May, Marlo Thomas and Gloria Steinem in a restaurant in New York!

    ReplyDelete
  7. RIVER: Thanks, I love Red Bear and that picture represents me pretty well: Snacks and books!

    STEVE: Don't you have to know everything about Harry Potter as a children's librarian? LOL
    Your patronus is like your magical protector animal--I think yours might be a wondrous garden moth or perhaps a Turaco bird!

    You were once in the presence of Elaine May????!!!
    Wow! I am envious. I would love to breathe next to her and hope some of what she has is catching.
    But genius doesn't work that way.

    There was a bunch of studio politics (and national political mood?) behind the disaster of Ishtar, but the movie itself is very funny--
    try it and see!


    ReplyDelete
  8. Fresca, Steve,
    My husband and I both liked Ishtar; decided we were just more lowbrow than the critics, and they were stupid.
    Fresca, The therapist mostly sat sympathetically while I wept. Eventually they developed antidepressants. Yes, I'm thoughtful, but a little hesitant about poking away at myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment is for Sally: you and your husband deserve credit for liking Ishtar, and the critics deserved two thumbs down for being in such a political snare that they couldn't see the humor in it.

    I remember thinking, as I walked out of the cheapie theatre, that the only reason Ishtar was critically reamed was because the political mood of the country couldn't handle satire or criticism.

    I should watch it again...I wonder what I'd think of it now? Probably truer than ever...

    ReplyDelete