Friday, July 24, 2020

Tow-Heads & Tender Bunnies

At work, a white person was wondering if "tow-head", for a very light-haired person (often a child with white-blond hair), is racist.

Perhaps they were thinking of the slur towel head?
Or they are confused and frightened about anything related to race. Wanting to be a nice, non-racist white person, they overshot, and in the wrong direction.

Isn't life interesting?

I do wish we had words that differentiated between
1. the racism of, say, a person proudly proclaiming white supremacy, and,
2. the racism of a person with biases that formed growing up in a society where racial bias is as prevalent and unquestioned as fluoride in the water.

Like the difference between having a socially conditioned preference for blonde hair, and thinking we should have eugenics programs to breed light-haired people. 

I see people trying to untangle these snarls (and I try too), but I haven't heard them clarified in language yet. 
Phrases like implicit bias and systemic racism are not all that user-friendly.

Anyway, I looked up the etymology of tow-head and was happy to be able to clear it up. The word refers to the light color and tousled look of plant fibers being processed into textiles:
"tow (n.1) : the coarse, broken fibers of flax, hemp, etc., separated from the finer parts," late 14c., probably from Old English tow- "spinning""
When I saw these English towhead evacuees from German bombing in WWII, I wished I had one of the two blonde girlettes I gave away.



And then--I found another on eBay. Not like that's a miracle or anything--it's eBay, there are plenty--but this one is not only a blondie, she has the best sweater!
She is coming to stay.

You know what else is coming?
Cooler weather!

Cooler nights, at least.
Even though today is in the mid-90s, I am cheered because the bike path is now lined with late summer/harvest-time flowers.



Black-eyed Susans are my favorite, with their cones of brown velvet.



I woke up feeling icky today. I think I didn't drink enough water yesterday (again), while I was working hard enough that I was sweating.

PUSH THE FLUIDS!


I stayed home. 
I feel better after a morning lying on the couch drinking weak lemon water ( a pint of water with the juice of half a lemon, a tiny pinch of salt, & a sprinkle of sugar). 

I also cancelled plans to see my sister this weekend.
She means well, but her insensitivity grates on my frayed nerves--not good when I'm feeling sharky. I don't want to bite her head off.


Here's what. If someone told me they were feeling frazzled, (like I told my sister), and I recommended an emotional TV show that they rejected--even rudely--I would apologize. I'd say something like,
"Oh, hey, I'm sorry! That was really off the mark, wasn't it, to recommend a sad show when you're feeling low.
Ha-ha. Silly me.
How bout this Korean dramedy (K-drama) I heard about, instead: Crash Landing on You, about a rich and beautiful Korean woman who gets blown in a tornado into North Korea, where a handsome army major gives her shelter from the officials.
It sounds perfect distraction for a poor little bunny like you."
Which my sister didn't say.

bink had recommended Crash Landing on You, in fact.
I
watched an episode. It was kind of bad and kind of adorable, and also, entirely off my radar, the topic of relations between northern and southern Koreans. (Like, did I even get the capitalization correct there?)

In other words, perfect for a tender bunny shark-lady such as I.

And this afternoon I am going to watch the Netflix movie Juanita (2019), about a woman escaping her frazzled existence to start over again in Paper Moon, Montana.
It sounds like a Hallmark movie, which I usually can't stand, but it stars Alfre Woodward. 
I've loved her ever since, as Lily, she talked sense into Capt. Picard in Star Trek: First Contact.
Favorite line--useful for when someone hurts themself, throwing a tantrum:

4 comments:

  1. Loving the bike path wild flowers and grasses, I can smell them , nearly. I have been a tow head all my live long life and yes all of the jokes are about me. I always thought it was an endearment - TOE rather than Tow, toe head was not particularly complimentary but it was kind of cute. Good to know these things this late in life.
    Glad the lemon water jazzed you up- enough to live another day.
    The little yellow haired gal is adorable too. She may feel insecure amongst all of the reds, better get a twin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LINDA SUE; HHA, HAaa No no, don't encourage me to get another girlette!!! I am trying to thin the herd (peacefully, you understand, by re-homing some),
    but MORE keep showing up in my mailbox.

    TOE head, that is cute. Plump baby toes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of tow-head as any kind of slur. As you said, they must not have known the origin.

    Fabulous flowers and grasses along the path! And I can understand the need to cancel your plans. I've never heard of that TV show -- interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. STEVE: They were just nervous that ANY reference to color could be construed as racial/racist. I'm seeing that a lot.

    ReplyDelete