Thursday, July 30, 2020

Cool Old Books Backlog, Part 1

I wish I'd been able to come into the thrift store after it closed on March 20 and work alone, sorting the Cool Old Book backlog--books I set aside to look up and either sell on eBay or display in our glass case.
(If I had a car, and space to work on piles of books, I'd have hauled them home. But I have neither.)

Even with staff working in the closed store the past couple months, what with the huge mess after being broken into, I've not had time for books. The past couple days I've worked hard simply to get my books section in order, and restocked.

With the store opening tomorrow (yay!), I'm sure not going to get to the backlog now.
Except for the few books I'm sure are worth a lot, I'm going to plunk them all on the Cool Old Books shelves at $1.99/each.

If they find good homes, that's what I care about.
I'd like to make money for the store too. But unless a book sells for more than $30––and few of these would––it's not worth my paid-time to list it online.
(I'd suggested to management that I list books on my own time, and split the proceeds, but they did not go for that.)

What would really be fun would be to package them in sets––e.g., Books with Embossed Covers––as I see some sellers do--mostly on Etsy.
But realistically, that's not going to happen.

We do get book resellers, but they're the kind that scan every book with an app. This doesn't apply books without ISBNs, (or I'd do it too), so the old books tend to get bought by people who WANT them for themselves.
Which makes me happy.
And if they resell them, good luck to them too!

Anyway, here's a glimpse of the book backlog I snapped quickly before leaving work yesterday.


Ergh--not used to the new blogger, I lost a bunch of photos as I was trying to resize them. Trying to reload them...
Ay ay ay!!!
This is not working well.

6 comments:

  1. Awwww! A vintage copy of Maurice Maeterlinck's The Life of the Bee in a cute Edwardian-style binding. I've read it back in the day: a best-seller from a very distant time (he seriously ponders wether bees possess telepathic abilities).
    The Boston Cooking School Cook Book looks intriguing too.
    I totally understand you would like to have time enough for sorting out these oldies, surely there are some well-hidden gems among these.
    Best wishes for tomorrow opening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to purchase these books, if they're still available:
    Farmer's Boston Cooking School
    Life of the Bee
    Course of Composition and Rhetoric
    Essentials of Geography (my favorite subject in grade school!)
    Classic Fairy Tales

    I'd like to pay five dollars each plus shipping, if that's amenable to you and SVDP.

    Now, to peruse the ones in the second lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother had the Boston Cooking School book, set it as her goal (upon marriage?) to cook her way through it. I now have her book. I'm guessing the one you have has a similar now-lost story.
    It's a delicious collection all around. I would have trouble getting away empty-handed, tho I doubt I would end up reading them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I resize all my photos and put them in a folder titled "Resized" before I even start a new post and inside that folder are other folders with dates of when I want to use them.
    I prefer fiction, murder mysteries, gory forensic police procedurals, some fantasy, a little historical romance fiction, so there's nothing on those shelves that I would buy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my step-grandmother's old copies of the Settlement Cookbook and Fanny Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cookbook! Funny how you have a couple of copies of "Waverley" by Scott. I guess that probably doesn't get read much these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TORORO: No kidding? Telepathic bees? That's pretty close to true.
    I will do a quick skim of Life of the Bee before sending it to Crow!
    Thanks for the best wishes--we open today, and when I left last night, everyone was in a good mood...

    SALLY: What a treasure, to have your grandmother's Boston Cooking School book! Did she write in notes? I always love that.

    RIVER: I prefer the old Blogger and have reverted for now--I don't always know what photos I'm putting in beforehand--like to have the ease of sizing them on the blog AND NOT LOSING THEM! Ergh!!!

    We have all those good reading books you like too--just not in this pile of old oddities.

    STEVE: Again, like Sally--you are lucky to have these old cookbooks.

    Yes, I hadn't realized how popular Scott was in his day--TOP BEST SELLER, like James Patterson and the like--but I don't know if anyone reads him now.
    Have you?
    (I haven't! And glancing at them, not likely to either.)


    ReplyDelete