Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Mornings

Good morning!
Probably it's not morning when you read this, but there's this temptation to say good morning, first thing in the morning––which it is right here and now, as I type in the shady front yard. 


I love how quiet this street is: one single car has driven by since I came out here at 6:20 a.m.
Would I like to live alone?
I can't afford it, but if I could? I honestly don't know...
I do know I'm much happier living in this quieter neighborhood.
I'm making an effort to get up earlier for a bit more quiet time alone--and--extra motivation--cool temperatures. It's 68º at the moment, but it's supposed to rise into the low 90s...

Happier, too, that work has settled down--it's mostly rearranging now, not cleaning up broken glass and turned-over desk drawers. Yesterday I relisted on eBay the books that I'd taken off because 
1. I couldn't get into the store to mail them
2. the post office was burned down

Luckily, that's not entirely true. The post office in my neighborhood burned (and the one in my old neighborhood), but the one closest to the store was only damaged and has now reopened. 

Of course the lines are long, since everyone's going there.

Still, I like going to the p.o.--it's sort of like going to the airport, in the old days when you could go to the gates and watch planes taking off: a reminder of the wide world.

Anyway, I put the books back on and one immediately sold, which was heartening––a signed copy of Wanda Jackson's autobiography Every Night Is Saturday Night
I didn't know who that was--she's a singer/songwriter known as the Queen of Rockabilly. Rolling Stone compiled videos of her 10 essential songs, including "Hard Hearted Woman".

I think I'll be devoting the next couple weeks to eBay? It's that or move furniture, which I am not expected to do. I like it, so that's good. It's also a reminder of the wider world--this book is going to California.

Working with books lifts my mood. It's what I love and want to share. 
But I like vintage stuff too!
I listed my first non-book item in ages: a Parker roller-ball pen & mechanical pencil set. 1982? I love the arrow/airliner look and the brushed metal.

Does the "5 Accident-Free Years" make it more or less desirable?
Where I'm sitting, it seems hilarious.

Meanwhile, the MN legislature is in Special Session since last week, dealing with the fall out––financial and otherwise––of the "civil unrest" [after the cops murdered George Floyd], including considering changes to policing.
For instance, the Commerce committee is holding an "Informational Hearing on Liquor Licenses being granted to temporary locations in Minneapolis and St Paul".

Looking at the calendar of the legislature... I marvel people can stand to do this work. Even to write up the descriptions of the meetings---so painfully persnickety.
Here's an agenda item:
"Public safety peer support activity admissibility of statements and critical incident stress management services limitations."
What?

Oh, wow--talk about public safety: 
a blue jay has been fluttering under the house eaves the past couple minutes. Turning around, I see it is plucking grubs(?) out of a wasp nest, flying up to the roof and eating them, one by one, out of a big hold in the nest! 

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's a good thing -- fewer wasps!

    I can't imagine why whoever presented those pens would have that lettering put on them. Wouldn't they be a much nicer gift (even for "five accident-free years") without that? Weird.

    I've been thinking I need to get rid of some stuff we have lying around here. I may be trying some eBay myself. I haven't used it in years but it may be time.

    ReplyDelete