Monday, May 18, 2020

Two Layers

Now I have fabric again, I'm back to making masks.

All staff will be required to wear masks when the store opens. I chose fabrics that my coworkers who are averse to cute things might like.
Who knows?


The girlettes don't need face masks. They are cheeky! They're singing,
"We don't care a jot/ We don't give a fig!"

E.D. (exec. dir.) ordered the blue, cowl-style masks ^ (above).
Made from one layer of spandex.
One? This represents my question "Why don't people google" in the flesh. Two layers are recommended, and one should be high-thread-count cotton.
I sewed a cotton square in each one.  

Here are some finished masks. I made cotton ties because I don't like the way elastic rubs. (Also, I don't have any.)
The green and purple are silk (best combo w/ cotton), from Kirstin who wrote,
"
The purple with gold thread is a Hmong textile from Thailand that I bought way back in the 80’s, and the green is silk from India."

After I make enough for work (twenty?) I'm going to make some for friends. If any blog friends want some, let me know. You can choose your fabric from the ones you see here. (Except the seahorses embroidery piece.)
❧  ❧  ❧

Speaking of girlettes, I watched the first Harry Potter movie (2001) last night.
I was horrified:
The wizarding bankers look like caricatures of Jewish bankers. 

Fat-shaming abounds, and capitalism. (Ron is teased for wearing hand-me-downs.)
Social ranking too--sometimes determined by "blood".
Even the logical Hermione accepts this. Though she will be taunted as a "mudblood", she tells Harry he's a good quidditch player because "it's in your blood".

BUT... 
Penny Cooper loved it! She didn't see that layer at all.
She saw brave friends sticking together and doing good. Also, non-human beings shown as having real, independent lives.

2 comments:

  1. I love your masks! Such a fun selection of patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Steve! I'm enjoying sewing these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete