Friday, February 14, 2020

Sweet Heart

Many things I'm thinking about, but for the moment, here are some of this week's pictures on the IG I do for the store.

 TOP ROW, L to R:

1. That book cover of Bacchae (about divine madness, etc.) is maybe my favorite ever. (Elvis was arrested for a scuffle at a gas station--charges were dropped.)

2. Hand-painted copy of Victorian holy card: sacred heart with text reading "Sweet Heart of Jesus Be My Love". I posted this today, Valentine's Day.

3. Me in the donations area, holding up what I think is a pajamas case. Handmade of corduroy, it opens in the back like a pillow case.


BOTTOM ROW, L to R:

4. Speckled glaze, covered dish by Monterey Pottery of California, mid-century, with 1970s? daisy napkins.

5. Must be theater week--another play, Amphitryon 38, with an Eiffel Tower martini glass.

6. Wool sweater from the store, mended by Happify Design (my friend Julia).

2 comments:

  1. I love that Euripides cover, from a Hackett edition. Many of their covers offer arresting (no pun intended — okay, pun intended) modern images to go with ancient texts. For instance, their Iliad, Odyssey, and Oresteia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--thanks I hadn't seen those.
    I especially thrill to the Odyssey with Earth rise!!!
    And the Iliad cover gave me shivers--the soldiers deploying from a water craft.
    But the ticker tape parade for the Oresteia seemed a little weak to me (too obvious, maybe).

    ReplyDelete